Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: buying bees  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
buying bees
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
Hey guys,

Looking to maybe buy nucs from Abby's Apiary in Bishop, GA.  Anyone know anything about them?  Good, Bad, Maybe?????

I am looking for small cell bees.  Have already ordered from Don but want to get more from a second source.

Please help if you know of anyone selling small cell medium nucs.

Or even free bees would be great. But can't get them until next month when my hives arrive.

Thanks.

"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: buying bees
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:35:57 am »
why small cell?  i would look more for bees that can take care of them selves
to bee or not to bee

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:43 am »
Since I am brand new to bee keeping I have to start somewhere so I am following Michael Bush's lead and going small cell. I will be doing small cell foundation in one hive and will go foundationless in the other just to see which I , and the bees like better. Anyway and small cell, from my understanding, is close to what the bees will build themselves if left to their own devices. I want to follow the bees lead. I think they will be happier.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »
I don't know how close you are to Bailey but since he does not use chemicals on his bees, I would buy his. If the queens have the right genetics, they will take care of themselves at what ever size the cells are.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:31:15 pm »
Sawdust

Why thank you!!!!!!!

Seag

If your willing to come get em. Or come to bud 5 and get them there it could be arranged.

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:54:46 pm »
Any time Bailey. I really think that genetics is the only way to go. Is beekeeping your main job? I have aves years to go to retire and go full time beekeeping.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »
I wish. 
My real job is a nurse in the psych ward right now.   Have done er. ICUs psych and jails.
Bees are my second full time job. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:13 am »
Have you ever worked in hospitals in Jacksonville? I have spent over 8 months or more in the hospitals here taking care of my son. Just wondering if we ever met.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:02 am »
Never worked Florida.  Sorry.
Bailey

anything