Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Converting from deep to medium hives.  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Jim H

• New Bee
Converting from deep to medium hives.
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »
Hi, All.
I'm converting all my hives (deep broods also) to all medium boxes and am wondering what process I use to get this job done without loosing any brood or time. I think Michael or Finsky commented about this earlier in the year but I can't find the subject.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Converting from deep to medium hives.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:00:12 pm »
Mostly you need to keep in mind that pulling honey is a normal part of beekeeping.  Pulling brood is not.  So what you want to do is get the brood nest in the mediums so at harvest time you can pull the deeps.  If you put a medium frame in the center of the brood nest (when they can handle it which, in MO, I'm guessing will be about April) you can pull that frame of brood up to a medium box along with the queen above an excluder and soon you'll have a brood nest in the medium instead of the deep. You can just add medium boxes as usual on top until harvest time when you will take the deep off.  You might check to make sure they don't rear another queen in the deep.  :)  If so I'd move her up as well.

The "brute force" method is to do a cutout (cut the comb out of the deeps and tie the brood into medium frames).  But this isn't really necessary unless you are impatient.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:07:16 pm »
I agree with MB, the easiest way to convert is to work the deep up the hive as medium supers are added.  The cutting down the deep suupers and frames to medium can be done during the winter while your building up or repairing your equipment.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jim H

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:21:59 pm »
Thanks Michael,Brian for the quick response. I'll try the single medium frame first because I'm using Perco solid plastic frames and I don't think I can do a cut out.

I appreciate all of your help.

Happy New Year.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:31:31 pm »
You could shake the bees off of the deep Pierco and run it through a table saw to cut it to 6 1/4" :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim H

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 08:26:17 pm »
Great Idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Thanks Michael!