Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when is it too often or too late  (Read 1410 times)

Offline foxman

• House Bee
when is it too often or too late
« on: June 05, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
Just wondering when the shortest and longest times between hive inspections should be?
I dont want to not know what is going on in my hives, but also dont want to disturb them too much?
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: when is it too often or too late
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:43:00 pm »
Just wondering when the shortest and longest times between hive inspections should be?
I dont want to not know what is going on in my hives, but also dont want to disturb them too much?

Depends, if checking for queens and requeening then inspections every day or up to every third day can be the norm.
If you have queenright hives and just need to check on development then once every 10 days to 2 weeks is fine.
If you're just interested in the honey crop then pile the supers on in April or May and remove them in Late August to Early October.

If you;re interested in the bees, kand want to keep them healthy and productive then do the 10 days to 2 weeks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:50 pm »
Ditto.  The 7-14 day number is probably important if you want to catch queen cells, correct comb that gets screwed up, and generally be on top of things...for the hobbiest.  Commercial guys and large scale beeks may not have that luxury.
-Mike

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:00:54 pm »
thanks that is very helpfull
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

anything