Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aspiring Keeper S. Central PA  (Read 4728 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Aspiring Keeper S. Central PA
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:10:03 am »
Hello from Southern PA,

I am a long time gardner and HUGE fan of honey of allshapes and sizes.  Recently a trip to a local potter  found my buying some "Buckwheat" honey.  OMG it was fantastic this coupled with my wifes childhood memories of Grandpa's bees tipped the scales in the decision to get some bees.   I have read that spring is the best time to get started and I can't seem to find anyone with any for sale right now mid summer.  I will research, plan, and purchase my supers and such and be prepared for the glorious flight of the bee keeper. 

I see this is a hopping place and look forward to typing back and forth with you all.
 WAVE and greetings from the Jones Family Shannon, Austen, Emma, Gaven, and Gideon
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline frenchfrylegs

• Brood
Re: Aspiring Keeper S. Central PA
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:54:56 pm »
Wonderful John I am in northest PA ...we are new to this also , got my bees in the beginning of  may and it is for the bees sake they only sell them in spring, so they can have time ot make honey for the winter. Keep your eyes open and tell everyone you know you are interested and someone will have a swarm that needs to be removed, maybe. Thats how we got 2 of ours. well good luck and happy bees.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »
Welcome to the forums from a guy in Central PA :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »
CVBees.  Welcome to our forum, this is the place that you will love to spend time.  I can't figure out how frenchfrylegs said your name was "John", but maybe I missed something.  Welcome to all your family, the Jones family.  When I read that your Wife's memories of Grandpa's bees really made a decision to keep bees made my heart leap for joy!!!  Beautiful, memories are what our lives are made of, and Grandparents instill such beautiful and wonderful things in their Grandchildren.

When I go on our forum, all the bee stuff must make my serotonin levels increase, I always get so filled with happiness when I participate in this beautiful space in time.  I kid you not.....I have wonderful memories of my Father that kept bees too.  I was a young woman in my teens when he kept his bees, I was not overly interested (well, not at all) in bees at that point in my life.  But I don't have a doubt in my mind that his beekeeping held something deep in the recesses of my mind, that I have brought forward as an older adult. 

Spend time with us, learn all you can about beekeeping and when that day comes that you get your bees, you will be deeply held under their spell, they have a way with us humans that words cannot describe. Welcome.   AND...have that most beautiful and wonderful day, loving and living this great life we all live, love and share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum to learn more about bees & beekeeping. I use the 'search' function a lot: very often I find that my question has already been discussed.

I recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Many clubs offer beginning beekeeping classes, and they are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks:
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Reports/Map/2007%20Contacts%20and%20Inspectors.html
Since you're in southern PA, you also might consider taking classes with a Maryland club:
http://www.msbeea.org/main/Classes.html?extraParam=&now=28&chkMSBA=&chkInsp=&chkLinks=&chkPapers=

Good Luck!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:40:39 pm »
I already have an email into an officer with the Dillsburg Chapter of a beekeeping club.  But I am excited at the great response from you all.  I am in Maine this week with the inlaws and called a local beekeeper in Corinna, ME and he is taking me out to East Corinth on Friday to inspect 9 hives he has there. Talk about excited this will be first hands on experience.  Thanks for the assist though Indypartridge.

I recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club.

Cindi,

A special thanks to you for your warm welcome,  we (the wife, kids, and I) are on our way to Grandpa K's tomorrow and will be hitting him up for old info and maybe some abandoned equipment (shhhh) *fingers to lips*  I can't wait to get into the groove with the masses.  Type to you soon CV Bees.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:55 pm »
CV bees,you're not too far from Greg Peck

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:01 pm »
Or BenC.  If you want to dig into some hives sometime feel free to stop by.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:39:55 pm »
Or BenC.  If you want to dig into some hives sometime feel free to stop by.
I will look you up when I get home.. I work in Frederick.  Thanks for the offer BenC.

I am pretty sure Mr. Peck is the gentleman I emailed already I just hope he got it I will try again soon.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 08:24:02 am »
Welcome from the Eastern Maryland shore!!!!

Find a nearby Beek and stick to their coat tails. I have 3 within a few miles and they have REALLY made a huge difference, most gave me older equipment and frames, sold me foundation and lent me a suit and a smoker. I was set up in 3 days. Within a week one called me with a swarm call...hence, my first hive!!!!
I too have memories of an old quaker man who taught me as a young boy about bee's. He has no idea the impact that has had on my life.
Bee's teach us to respect even the smallest of creatures..for we depend upon them for our plentiful gardens and food sources.

I get up every morning and watch my girls go to work over coffee.

I'm in Chestertown Md. If you get down this way let me know.

Mark...Rookie with a cookie...
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:57:30 am »
I'd also reccomend getting on some swarm lists. This year was an awesome year for swarms, and I hope next year is too. I filled all of my equipment this year. In one day, I actually had to turn down 7 swarm calls, all within 15 miles of my home!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »
I already have an email into an officer with the Dillsburg Chapter of a beekeeping club.

I would like to post a correction I was confused about whom I had emailed.  It was the Sec Treasurer of the State beekeepers assoc I emailed not Greg Peck.  Sorry Greg and thanks for the offer.   :oops:

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:22 pm »
Not a problem. Let me know if you need any help getting started.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees