Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food Supplement and substitute recipes  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Food Supplement and substitute recipes
« on: March 02, 2005, 08:27:06 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm interested to know what pollen/protein cake recipes any of you guys have used, and how succesful they have been.   I don't have any spare pollen at the moment, and don't want to risk contaminating my hive with purhased pollen. Therefore, I'm particularly interested in recipes that the bees accept without pollen.

I would also like to know if anyone has used more than one type of sugar in their sugar syrup, ie. glucose/sucrose/fructose, to try and achieve a broader range of carbohydrates, more similar to those provided in nectar/honey.

Thanks eveyone.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 10:01:34 am »
I have yet to see any recipe that does not have a fair amount of pollen (25-30%) be readily accepted by bees.

Your best bet would be to buy commercial pollen cakes or patties.   Most of these use irradiated pollen to eliminate the transfer of diseases.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:52:31 am »
Mine is simple.  Pollen or pollen dust fed dry in an empty hive so it won't get rained on.  If I don't have enough then I mix it half and half with whole soy bean flour.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin