Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax cappings, what a find!!!  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Wax cappings, what a find!!!
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:48:37 am »
I was rumaging through my freezer yesterday, getting some bread and in the bottom I found a couple of bags of wax cappings.  I had frozen them after I had extracted honey last year.   Someone (we all know who someone is, that is my husband's nickname for anything that I need to blame someone for) must have moved them from the "bee" part of the freezer.  I had totally forgotten about them.

So, what should I do with them?  I am curious about responses of what you guys would do.  I would say that there is about 2 gallons or so.  Have a wonderful day, great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Wax cappings, what a find!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:09 am »
Thaw them out get the honey, enjoy.  Melt the wax cappings and make candles, enjoy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:58:33 am »
Brendhan, sounds good, but....most of the honey has been squished out of them, I know that because I squished it out (the cappings were in cheesecloth).  I wonder if I could.....oops never mind...I am going to do this.  I am going to put the wax cappings on top of the nuc that I made last week, I will put a super shallow super on (part of a box left over after my husband made me a pollen trap) on so the wax is not squished and then the bees can have a delicious dessert and I will have clean cappings in a short time.  Off to more fun today!!!  Great life, beautiful day, the sun is shinin', the bees are happy.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:03:19 pm »
After they clean up the cappings, let someone (we all know who he is ) melt the wax down and put into molds for you. :-D

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:04:33 am »
After they clean up the cappings, let someone (we all know who he is ) melt the wax down and put into molds for you. :-D

I don't know who.  Who?  HAve a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:15:57 am »
I would have guessed that " we all know who " was Michael Bush! :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37:01 am »
NO Who is Cindi's Husband. Would ya'll keep up.

Cindi said,
(we all know who someone is, that is my husband's nickname for anything that I need to blame someone for)
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:23:43 pm »
Yah JP cmon.  :-D

Anyways, Cindi:

Lip moisturizer
1 part vegatable oil
1 part bees wax
a pinch of crushed and dried orange peel

Melt wax and put dried orange peel in vegatable oil. Combine All.
Allow to cool.

You'll have yourself a GREAT product, which I make around 50-60 sticks of this stuff. I give to friends family and sell the rest.

I don't think anyone else in the world makes this stuff. (with the orange peel)

Maybe I should start a company...

Jake

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:10:45 pm »
I like the sound of that reciepe and think I am going to give it a try.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:54:36 am »
Jake, yep, your recipe sounds very nice and pleasing.  Now, elaborate a little further (unless it is the secret for when you start up your own lip balm company), how do you make the sticks?  I would be more than curious.  thanks for sharing.  Have a wonderful day, great life and love the life you're livin'.  Cindi

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 12:12:23 pm »
Cindi, I belive that you can buy the containers and while the mix is still a liquid you just pour it in.  Am I right?

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 02:06:21 pm »
Yep, I buy the sticks from a local general store. I had them order them in. Pour it in when its liquid. I'm sure you can find a stick retailer online.

They make great gifts!  :-D

Jake

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 11:08:16 pm »
Here is a web page for you Cindi.  http://www.lipbalmsupplies.com/LipBalmSupplies.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:45 am »
Dallas, thanks for the link.  This is what makes this forum a very special and caring place.  Everyone goes out of their way to make others happy and do little bits of work for all, like finding a site for someone and posting a link to it.  Thank you to all our forum member friends, you are all very special people and make my life just a little bit more bright!!!!!  Have the best and wonderful day, great life and love that life your livin'.  Cindi

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 11:57:10 am »
when I remove cappings I let them drain and then put the capping out for the bee's to clean, (no waste), I dont have any wax molds but a friend showed me what he does with the cappings and extra wax like burr comb, he went and bought a  cheap double boiler to melt the wax in, then he got plastic Ice treys (for ice cubes) and puts the treys in a pair of panty hose( pantyhose is a filter) then when the wax is melted he pours it through the pantyhose hose into the ice treys, after cooling he has small cubes of clean wax, this is how I do it now....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 12:45:26 pm »
Ted, sounds like quite an interesting concept.  Good.  Have a great day, wonderful life.  Cindi