Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive inspections?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: hive inspections?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 12:27:39 am »
I also want to mention that my new split made a wonderful queen from 1 queen cell I had placed in the box. I also was fretting about the genetics of this new queen. She has turned out to be way better than the marked, mated one I got from the package. Her workers are strong, fiesty, extremely active and I am getting honey now. They are not mean bees at all, just very hard workers.

Stay in touch with us, we are all learning and this is a very good place to express yourself about this hobby.

Annette from Placerville California

Also wanted to mention that I started beekeeping last year 2006, and I fretted my way through so much of this and have had many problems to overcome. I have learned so much this year and my confidence is growing. I am finally getting more relaxed with the whole thing and you will learn to relax also.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 03:08:43 am »
 If no mistakes are made you are not learning you are a moron only if the same mistakes are repeated over and over again after sound advice has been taught. Sounds to me you are a good student. Expect to make mistakes.When we are truly learning life is at its best. For we are not bored but intrigued and engaged.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 09:43:41 am »
jl.  Our forum friends could not have said things better.  Say no to moron.  YOu are learning, you will be learning for a long time, as we all are.  To err is human, you know that saying.  I have made so many mistakes, and certainly learned valuable lessons by them.  The bees will teach you lessons, you will learn from those lessons.

For example, last night I learned a lesson.  Won't repeat it.  I picked up a hive to put a screened bottomboard under it.  Forgot that the styrofoam in the place of two frames (to make the hive smaller because it was a nuc and needed to be kept a little warmer) was not held in the box like frames are.  When I picked up the box, the styrofoam frame fell on the ground.  Of course no bees on it, but I had to pick it out of my way and that annoyed me.  I would have stepped on it and crushed it.  So, even something as simple as that, is a lesson learned.  You will have many lessons, learn by them.  Have a wonderful day, great life, love you life you're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 09:53:54 am »
If we all knew everything,there would not be much need to be here among friends!We are all here to learn or share what we may have learned from our own mistakes. :)

Offline jl

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 10:10:33 pm »
well i appreciate the support and help.  I have alot to learn and I am glad that I found this website.  A friend of mine started last year with his first hive and got me into it.  Of course when he opened his hive this spring all his bees were gone save about a hundred or so that were dead.  He know has five hives.  My comments above excluded, it is very relaxing to watch the bees fly in and out and see the pollen on their legs.  I'll probably have alot more questions though :-D

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 10:48:37 pm »
This is an awesome forum, I am so grateful to have found it...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 10:15:25 am »
JP, you will have hundreds of questions, and all I can say is:  Bring 'Em On.  And never think that any question is dumb, all questions are good, and we all learn by questions that everyone asks.  I have asked hundreds myself, our friends all help out here on the forum and we are lucky people to have such a great place to spend a little or a lot of time.  Have the best day, best life, best health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything