Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The bees are not on the lavender!!!  (Read 5006 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
The bees are not on the lavender!!!
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:28:54 am »
This has been a very strange year for sure. May be due to the drought the flowers just do not have the nectar they did before. Well the lavender is in full bloom and the bumble's are on them, but not even one honeybee.  Last year they devoured the lavender for over a month. What gives???

They also ignored the jasmine this year as well.

I have found them on some trees in the woods that have these white flowers. Guess I should post a photo. Will try to do this tomorrow. Perhaps they are enjoying the trees and haven't gotten around to the flowers around the house.

Maybe different things blooming in the wild at different times than last year???

All I know is, they aren't making much honey. Just enough to survive.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The bees are not on the lavender!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:49 am »
I would agree they found a more agreeable nectar source than the lavander.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:09:25 am »
Are they strong and healthy hives?  Perhaps it's the pollen they are after more than the nectar... are they rearing a large brood?

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:11 am »

:? :?
I think you are right it is the drought.  My hives are not producing much honey at all and I have some very strong hives. I was coming on to post and find out if other people in California are finding the same occurance.  Should be start feeding the Bees in June??? 

I know you usually start feeding here in August because there is not much blooming at that time and then it picks up in September.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:16:35 pm »
my flow is slowing down and they are going to lavender more and more each day as clover diminishes.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:27:20 pm »
If you have a drought, it could definately be that.  I know my lawn clover patch that I water gets a lot more bees than the patches that I don't water.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:36 pm »
I have been feeding two out of three hives right now. Unbelievable that I have to feed them in June.

Hopefully they will make some honey for themselves by September.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »
Are they strong and healthy hives?  Perhaps it's the pollen they are after more than the nectar... are they rearing a large brood?

One hive is strong and healthy and they aren't making much honey either. The brood is strong and  I saw the queen yesterday so I know things are good.  My laying worker hive is almost out of honey so I started to feed them. My package hive is still being fed until they can get on their feet.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:37 pm »
I have been feeding two out of three hives right now. Unbelievable that I have to feed them in June.

Hopefully they will make some honey for themselves by September.

Annette

Hey Annette, is it any harder feeding them with one eye closed? ;)

Wanna see the picture! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:07:31 pm »
Funny, I planted a bunch of Hollyhocks because people have said bees love them and got o them. I have not yet seen any bees on the hollyhocks. I also planted Salivia, cant remember which ones but they have long stems with purple flowers, and I dont see the bees on them either. I do see a lot of other bee looking things all over the salivia and lots of little flys. It seems the bees are going crazy over the cat mint and the russian sage. Sunflowers have not yet bloomed.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:21 am »
Shawn, that Salvia is probably farinacea.  I love that, I grow a cultivar by the name of Victoria Farinacea.  It has that beautiful foliage with the deep blue long, long flower spikes, one of the prettiest annuals that I grow in my gardens.  This year I do not have any, I forgot to order the seed,  :roll:.  Next year.  I actually don't believe the honeybee has much use for this flower at my place, must be other things that are far more attractive.  BEautiful and most wonderful day, love our life we are livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything