Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutout (string or elastic)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
cutout (string or elastic)
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:55:20 pm »
I/'m going to remove some bees from a guy's Bar by his swimming pool next week.I usually tie the combs in with cotton string has anyone used elastics before (elastic bands)  When I've used string it gets hard fingers sticky suff like that I wondered about elastic bands
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: cutout (string or elastic)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:12:33 pm »
I use rubber bands, after about 2 weeks you will see the rubber bands at the entrance, the break or be chewed in half and then taken out of the hive, all comb is attached to frames then.... I use the 1/4 inch wide type, get them at the dollar store for a buck and its about 200 count...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:20:10 pm »
Last summer I used foundation wire as package string when I moved natural combs to frames. Bees install combs into frames during next 12 hours. As missing parts I used pieces of foundation.

I tryed rubber bands but they did not worked properly.  Important is to push  normal frames wires somehow inside comb.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:25:19 pm »
+1 for Dollar store rubber bands.

I pre-install them on the end of the frames before hand.  Cut the comb to fit and just slide the bands over.  As Ted stated,  in a few weeks they are all on the bottom board.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:55:10 pm »
I've used string and I've used rubber bands.  Both work fine from the point of view of holding the comb in.  The rubber bands are MUCH easier to get one with sticky hands and gloves than the string is to tie under those same conditions.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:12:27 pm »
I'm with Robo.... Put the rubber bands on the ends of the frames and its easier than trying to hold the comb in the frame and start a band or string.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:28:15 pm »
Placing the rubber bands on the frames so they only have to be moved into place works best.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 02:55:49 pm »
Thak you for the data
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon