Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: JP And Schawee Go Alligator Hunting-Part Three  (Read 6688 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
JP And Schawee Go Alligator Hunting-Part Three
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »
Last video in this series. We got our vanilla shakes folks!

...JP

JP And Schawee Go Alligator Hunting-Part Three
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: JP And Schawee Go Alligator Hunting-Part Three
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »
Great video series.
What is the gator skin like?   I have never seen big lizard skin up close.   Is it like deer?
And what are you paying for a 2 and a half pound shake?

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:47:01 pm »
Really good video. I guess you found the plug. :drowning:
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »
How will the alligator be prepared guys ? What is your favorite way to eat them ?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:09 pm »
I showed the videos to my son and he nearly cried.

He said: " I WANT TO BE THERE!"
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:22 pm »
We are all waiting for the cooking show now JP.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »
Do you do something with the skins?? How about making me a brand new alligator skin umbrella?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:29 am »
I went to the grocery this evening with Schawee's recipe for alligator sauce picante in hand. Now when Schawee cooks, he don't cook for a few people now, more like an army!

Shoulda seen the stuff I put in that basket!

Gonna make a huge pot real soon.

Some replies: The mega giant supreme deluxe 2lb plus world famous (well, in my world) gargantuan (did I say huge?  :-D) vanilla shake is $4.25

After I finished off the shrimp po-boy I couldn't eat all the shake in one sitting. I was too stuffed!

These particular gator's hides weren't quite as tough and leathery like I thought they'd be. Schawee says when they get bigger the hide gets much tougher.

I have only had it fried thus far & it was very good, at least my second batch was. My first batch, I put too much in which dropped the oil's temperature so that batch came out a little chewy. However, I saw my error and corrected it on the next batch which was crispy on the outside and tender inside.

I made a sauce for dipping, it was good yeah!

To me, cleaning an alligator is like a cross between a deer and an alligator gar, The meat is very light colored and no smell.

It was back to bees today.

Wish I was in the swamp today, but had fun with the bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:22 am »
Do you do something with the skins?? How about making me a brand new alligator skin umbrella?

Schawee will have to answer, he gets the skins. I was privileged to make the hunt and get some alligator meat.

...JP

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:00:52 am »
Annette wants an umbrella, I almost wrote Schawee and asked if he can get dry ice in his food stores (we can here everywhere) and an old Styrofoam cooler to ship me a few pounds (I'd gladly cover all costs)  ;) Gator is going for about $8 to $10 a pound and you need to order minimum 5 pounds at any online shop I found.

I do have a question... Anyone had both "farm raised" and natural and how much difference between the two???
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:55 am »
John, I'll let Schawee elaborate in his response but from what he has told me he can only sell a finished product. Not sure if the meat could be shipped out of state legally without some special permit.

Alligators are protected under the Lacy act and anything/everything concerning the taking and distribution of gators is carefully scrutinized by the powers that be.

Mess up and you can be charged with a felony, no kidding aside.

Schawee was telling me about some guys just last year that were charged. All guns were confiscated and hunting privileges were revoked for some time and...

They are now felons!

...JP

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:43 am »

Now theres an idea. But they have to go all out and wear the chef hats too.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:43:45 am »

Now theres an idea. But they have to go all out and wear the chef hats too.

OK, I'll mention a cooking video to Schawee.

...JP

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41:41 pm »
JP:

Oh I know well laws on hunting and fishing, NJ laws are rediculous, especially in the fishing department. First they charge $100 salt water fishing fee, then every boat ramp has an inspector - you get zapped for fish too big and too small here. Just to justify paying the fees, many fisherman use the "Catch and Fillet" method, not sure where they hide it - lol.

I'm sure the Louisiana online stores are fully permitted and that is a huge thing especially for export. Of course, they farm raise theirs, so I doubt same rules apply with them, they aren't fudging with the population.

Still wondering if anyone knows how different farm and natural raised taste different if they do.

Thanks and I'll have my fork in hand at Bud3 :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »
john, the laws on gators is something else.sometimes the wildlife people don't know.i was getting gators from a guy that sells hunts and today in the paper he was indicted  by a grand jury on taking gators illegal.i had the gators in my shop and they came and seized them2 1/2 years ago.i broke all ties with him because of the illegal things he did and lying to me about it.i had feds and state wildlife agents come to my place to seize the gators.i was so scared, i thought i was going to jail.my attorney told me that i will probable be caught up in this,but to be a witness for the feds. as far as a cooking show i will get jp to my house and do my special on cooking gator meat.   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »
Hey Schawee, my sister n law is now begging me to bring her back a shake, that is if you don't eat up all the Burger Delight's ice cream reserves.  :-D

...JP

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:45 pm »
I almost wrote Schawee and asked if he can get dry ice in his food stores (we can here everywhere) and an old Styrofoam cooler to ship me a few pounds (I'd gladly cover all costs)  ;) Gator is going for about $8 to $10 a pound and you need to order minimum 5 pounds at any online shop I found.

I do have a question... Anyone had both "farm raised" and natural and how much difference between the two???

Down here, they have froze gator meat in the freezer at the Piggly Wiggly (local grocery store).  $8 a pound, farmed raise in south Georgia.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »
I haven't seen unprepared gator anywhere locally, some of the restaurants have it. We don't get real boudain either though, so I guess they haven't given the market a chance.  My former father in law told me stories of keeping hatchlings for "pets" in an old bathtub when he was a kid, and then he'd release them when they got about 18"
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:26 pm »
Well, I put that batch of sauce picante together folks. Its almost ready for the plate, been cookin' a while now, meats just about tender.

Enough to feed a small army.

Probably won't be as good as what Schawee can do, we'll see.

It tastes pretty good to me so far.

...JP