Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm came down  (Read 1545 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
swarm came down
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
That 25 ft high swarm I told about yesterday is in a deep and a medium I had set up for them.
They came down this morning before I had a chance to go and change the medium for a deep.
Will move them to their new location tonight.
Also found a Virgin queen with them, the workers had her on the ground balling her.

This swarm came from the swarm/colony I caught year before last. About this same time of year.
That swarm filled 3 deeps and a shallow. I got two boxes of honey off it that year, 07.
They swarmed last year and I split after the swarm and it swarmed again two more times.
I was not lucky enough to retrieve those.
It swarmed Monday of this week and went back. I split Tuesday and it swarmed yesterday.
I set the boxes up and with in an hour after they swarmed there was quiet a few checking it out.
When I noticed they were dragging scrap out I was pleased.
Hope they stay long enough for me to get another box on. It was bigger than I anticipated, they were clustered "elongated" along the limb for about 5 ft. and not ball clustered.

I am back up to 9 colonies.
All this happening just as our main flow is starting. :) 8-)doak :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: swarm came down
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:52:51 pm »
Doak, great to see your apiary growing again and you seem to have the energy to deal with them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »
Energy is not so much as the heat will bee later on. July/Aug.
That is when I will do what I am going to do In the bee yard by 10:am.
For gardening and yard work I am able to go 10 to 15 minutes at the time then hit the shade. Of course I am not suited up when doing that.
Some time I will do one or two colonies then go take an hour brake. I try to get heavy stuff in the bee yard done by mid June.
I have about 4 colonies I should get honey from this year, maybe 5.
I should get a box or two off this one I got today. They have drawn comb to get started on.
That is equal to one or two weeks of honey storage. I think :roll: :)doak

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »

How can you tell a virgin queen from a mated one?

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:46 pm »
Real queens wear crowns! :lau:

Virgin queens are generally very skiddish and run to and fro, they seem to never be able to settle down.

Mated ones are usually slower paced and move gracefully, but is this carved in stone, I don't know for certain, but these have been my observations.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:49:58 pm »
They a very small compared to the laying queen, more tapered abdoman and no hair on the thorax.
Got the hive moved to it's permanent location.
Will add another box early in the morning. Will put another deep on and leave the medium on top.
The size of this swarm and its queen should have a deep super almost full of eggs, honey and pollen in a week. Working on drawn comb :)doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »
Doak, that is an interesting accounting of things.  It must get really hot down where you are eh?  Eeks...be careful in that hot sun, it sounds like you certainly do, beautiful day in this great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service