Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question on getting started for teen  (Read 1661 times)

Offline gypsysailor

• Brood
Question on getting started for teen
« on: December 25, 2005, 08:28:30 pm »
Hi,  My son asked me to get information for him on beekeeping. He is 13. We live in central texas. Are there local sorces of information? I would prefer some sort of hands on mentoring to start. I have no knowledge at all, this is one he came up with on his own but I plan to support it if it turns out to be something we can do.
Thanks
Larry

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Question on getting started for teen
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:28:16 pm »
We all are here to help you. I am a teen myself and started to look into at age 16. Your ag department for the state should be able to send you info on it in your area. We have other texans on here that may be able to help you too. Re post this in the general topic area and you will get a ton of info. One of the ways I learned so much was buy the book beekeeping for dummies, dont mind the name, it is really nice to have. It teaches from begging to end all about beekeeping. Also have him read articles off of this site and any others you can find. The one thing is there are a few things that you cant learn from books that you will know how to handle when it comes to them or just ask us, Im shure one of us has handled it before. Also if you ask 10 beekeepers one question you will get 11 different answers, lol, maybe more. Everyone has there own ideas and tricks of the trade which you learn over time. We talk about are ideas on this site before we try them to see what others think. One more thing, sorry if I am jumping around here, you can also ask your ag department if they could send you a list of local beekeepers or beekeepers of the wholl state and you could just pic a few out of the list to get into contact. There are also local groups and state clubs, ask about those, lol, hope this helps. If I missed something just ask, bye :D good luck
Ryan Horn