Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever  (Read 42319 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Itchiest Bee Sting in the Whole World...Ever
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2007, 11:52:18 am »
I had a delayed reaction...intense itch on day 6, and day 7 had redness and swelling which traveled down the arm to the elbow...took Allegra-D and benadryl...now almost 2 weeks out and the point where the stinger was it red but healing, there is an area around that point whereby the skin is dry and kinda sluffing...weird for sure!

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2007, 09:55:57 pm »
My hand swelled up and is a little red! lol I'm not to worried about it, I'm still as Dashing as I ever was!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 11:12:57 am »
Ha, Cody, just wait  :evil:

I worked with the bees for three hours yesterday, narry a sting, until the last moment when I was cleaning things up, got one on the ankle.  Oh brother eh?  The sting is slightly itchy now and hopefully I won't get more bugged by it.  Have a wonderful day, great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2007, 01:17:56 pm »
ouch that hurt and I'm disappointed! 2, maybe 3 bees stung me on the tip of my index finger.   I was hoping to go a long time without a sting.  I've only had the bees 6 weeks.  Guess I did something wrong plus maybe being slightly cocky by not wearing gloves. 

I'm triple medicating... benedryl, plaintain & apple cider vinegar and my finger still is swelling.

:-P Bee1
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2007, 01:37:52 pm »
And you say, you installed your hives on Friday the 13th   :-D

LT

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2007, 03:01:45 pm »
Whatever you use on a sting, the sooner you use it the more effective it will be.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2007, 11:37:09 pm »
So how would you have handled this ? I wanted to drop everything and run inside and feel sorry for myself but my hive was in pieces when I got stung.... I was inspecting a frame in the bottom deep from the middle when those little darlings decided to sting.  I couldn't even put the frame down quickly.  I had to shift things & make room and figure out what was going on... and ... why are all these bees on the tip of my finger and why are they stinging me ?? all the time saying to myself i don't really like this... this really hurts... darn it..what do i do now... and how the he ll am i going to put this all back together calmly....and swiftly... 

Anyway...  I probably didn't get inside (to treatment) for a good 10-12 minutes, maybe a bit longer, because I felt I had to get the hive back together. I did put down the one frame and walk away to drag the stingers out before that. 

Would you have left the hive open for 10 or 15+ minutes or to treat the stings? 

btw:  i'm pretty sure now i was stung by 4 bees...not the 2-3 i was hoping,   and i know i am sensitive (not alergic)...  my finger is swollen to the point of very tight skin is itchy & hot and the I know the symptoms are reduced  because of the benedryl. 

Any doctors in the house  -- how much benedryl can you really take?  otc Ibuprophen says 200mg,  however, drs will prescription 800-1200 mg doses for serious pain.   

Oh - one more thing. Why did they sting?

Bee1 with 4 stings of the universe. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2007, 12:03:43 am »
>>Oh - one more thing. Why did they sting?

Because they can! 

Slow down and watch where you're putting your fingers.  Finger stings usually means you're pinching bees when you're grasping the frame.  Bees caught between and finger and a frame will sting the finger every time.  This usually happens when the beekeeper is in too much of a hurry. 

The Zen of beekeeping is to Think and Move in slow motion.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2007, 12:22:16 am »
I was pulling weeds in my garden wearing a tank top...

In the interests of research and to better understand your condition...  got a picture? :)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 01:16:30 am »
I have not been stung whilst working the hives yet...As far as Benadryl dosage, it depends on what you want to do for the rest of the day...if you take 50 mg, you might get pretty sleepy...It might behove you to ask an MD for a prescription for some Allergra...this is a 24 hour antihistamine, you may also take Benadryl whilst on the Allegra...Youmay also try take and over the counter Pepcid AC...another type of histamine blocker in addition to the other meds...I know it sounds like a lot of chemicals, and it is, but it sure helps the symptoms.

I found creams and salves useless, I tried homeopathic and ayurvedic treatments to no avail...I helped it feel better...

My sting was at its worse on day 7!

Why do bees sting?  It is in their nature I suppose...Sorry you were stung :(

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 01:44:25 am »
benadryl is a histamine blocker. 50 mg is a good starting dose.  if you were to have a major reaction and go to the hospital, they would give you a bigger dose.  the histamine blocker is used up as it blocks the histamine receptor sites.  in theory, the more stings, the more blocker you need over a longer period of time.  in fact, no two stings are the same, so you are safe with 50 mg and if you do not have a good response in a couple of hours or the symptoms worsen, you could take another 25.....but you'll be asleep by then :-)

ice the swelling and keep it elevated.  motrin up to 800 mg about 6 to 8 hours apart.  it also tends to put some people to sleep.

pick up some liquid benadryl.  it works faster.  you can take smaller doses more often which again, in theory, would do a better job of keeping the histamine blockers doing their job.

learn to cuss.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 01:57:56 am »
First of all I wear full gear when going into the hives. I am no fortune teller and I never know when some weird thing will happen and set the bees off. You guys want to feel all special and brave for not wearing full armour, more power to you. But see how foolish you feel when something goes wrong. Then your wondering what to do. Do I leave the hive open and run, or do I close it up and run.

Now when I do get stung, so far no more than three times in one day, I do nothing. Pull the stinger out and go on. Sometimes it swells a little. Some times it itches for several days. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 01:58:52 am »
Bee1.  OK, this stingy thing needs a little clarification.  The reason why you got so many bees stinging your fingers is that when the stinger of a bee is everted, there is a pheromone released at the same time called the "alarm pheromone", aka, releaser pheromone.  This phermone is picked up instantaeously by other bees and they will attack the place where it has been initiated, i.e., on your finger.  So, tentatively, you could have many bees after that single little finger.  Sounds incredible?  Well it is definitely, we are dealing with incredible little creatures.

When I get stung by a bee, (if I am in the apiary) I immediately smoke the area with my smoker.  If my smoker is not handy, then I know that always I have my bottle of baby powder that is within reach and I douse the area with baby powder.  This apparently masks the smell of the alarm pheromone and tentatively no more bees with attack that very spot, because they can't "smell" the alarm pheromone.

I am of the belief that this works.  I know that my Asian bee course instructor taught us that and I have seen him smoke himself lightly when he received a sting.

Just some little bit of trivia that may help in a stingy situation.

I think that you were correct to put the hive back together before leaving the apiary.  Sometimes, you know this well, and so do I, that we can get sidetracked.  For one reason or another, usually inadvertently, and it could be some time before we could return. s  If you had left the hive open until you returned, you may have had a little trouble with other bees going in and trying to steal honey.  That is my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.  

But....if you needed that medical attention immediately, then of course, you and number one, and number one must take care of number one, or number one is no good to anyone.  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2007, 10:36:21 am »
I don't have much of a reaction to stings anymore.  But if I did, I'd probably carry something in my pocket so I can do it immediately.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2007, 02:48:26 pm »
Okay folks,  I was fully dressed for the occasion accept for gloves and I had my smoker going and was using it. 

I'm learning --  and I probably will be wearing my gloves in the future.  And bringing benedryl (or similar meds) with me regularly too, including baby powder.  Why not, it won't hurt and will most likely come in very handy sooner or later. I already know how to cuss and did use that tool too. 

RE: photo's -- they are not very dramatic/fun  -- fingers can only swell so much, and its hard to photo one hand with the other.  But here you go and have fun.  You can see my knucle is quite swollen and all the stings were on the very tip of my finger -- you can see 2 of the sting marks have turned into bruises.   

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm going to follow up with my Dr re: some of the alternatives mentioned  and get some fast acting liquid benedryl.  Hopefully I will develop a better tolerance over time.   

Bee1 - finger tingling away

ciao.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »
Oh p.s. I rub my hands with lemon balm as well..so far, so good!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:22 am »
Sharon, I keep thinking about the lemon balm.  Me thinks that I am going to think harder about it.  Me thinks that I am going to really focus on making my hands smell like lemon balm before I go work with the bees.  The baby powder smells nice too, but I think I am moving towards lemon balm.  It will calm me too I am sure  :roll:, especially when  the lemon balm "ingredients" are absorbed into my body by squishing the leaves in my hands.  Lemon balm, hmmmm, what a beautiful fragrance, takes me into a world of beautiful fragrance.  Have the great and wonderful day, live life and love life.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2007, 10:45:57 am »
>Me thinks that I am going to really focus on making my hands smell like lemon balm before I go work with the bees.

It won't make them sting you or not, but it will make them very interested in your hands.  If you like bees all over your hands, it works great.  Personally, I'd prefer almond or some other smell they DON'T care for.
-------------------

Offline carol ann

• New Bee
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2007, 10:50:13 am »
i was stung recently, a month ago, and still have a poc from the sting.( my hand and arm up to the elbow swelled, was fine while it was numb, laughing) I just planted some lemon balm. Guess who will trying that!
Carol ann
shine on

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2007, 11:15:19 am »
Michael, hmmm......now you have a very, very good point.  Point taken, listening and learning.  It honestly would be a pointless and silly endeavour to actually do something to attract bees to one's body, now wouldn't it?  Maybe I'll just forget the lemonbalm scented hands and stick with baby powder.  They are not attracted to the baby powder, they just don't mind it, and it makes my hands so they are not sweaty.

I can tell you first hand, the bees don't like a stinky, sweaty body.  If this can be avoided, trust me, avoid it (especially all you stinky men!!!).

This is the story.  I may have already told it, but I will tell it again. 

I have a bee pal, he is sick and cannot help me with his colonies so far this year (his colonies (2) died over the fall, but I keep 2 of mine that I have put aside as "his").  I do not know if he will be able to come over and help at all this year.  He may now be knockin' on death's door, but that is all OK.  He has had a great life and is a good man.

Last summer, my old bee pal was working hard with his son all day, building a house.  I told him that in a book I read it had said that bees don't like the smell of stinky sweat.  (Probably reminds them of a stinky old bear).  That day he had come over and he really smelled badly of stinky old sweat.  I told him that he smelled and that the bees might not like it. Well, this was kind of funny, in retrospect.  We were standing about 30 feet from the apiary and lo and behold, sure enough!!!!  A couple of bees came around him, annoyed.  I don't think they liked him one little bit (honestly, he was very sweaty and smelly).  He got freaked out a little bit and started walking away, they followed closely, on his trail, he started walkiing faster, they were still following closely on his trail, he started a very fast pace, they were still on his trail (they didn't bother me, I was such a sweet smelling lady (LOL,  :roll:).  Anyways, off into his van he got as fast as he could.

I just laughed.  I told him he was too sweaty and stinky for the bees.  I was not insulting him whatsoever, and he knew that, I was just telling the truth.  Now this is the funny part.  Anytime that he came over to look at the bees, or do anything, I could always tell by the way his hair looked (this is a 74 old Italian guy, with hair as black as he was when he was 20 years old I am sure), that he had a shower.  He probably always went home after working and had a great shower and never was stinky, stanky again.  He learned a lesson that day, and was lucky that the bees didn't give him a good sting (laughing out loud, lots and lots).

My dear old friend.  He loves our bees and had so much fun hanging out and watching them with me on those hot dog days of summer.  He may still be back, yet!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of this life, live it and love it, like there was no tomorrow.  Cindi