Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Vermont!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline fradiddle

• Brood
Hello From Vermont!
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:16:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to beekeeping this spring, and I already have two questions - and the bees don't even arrive until May 21!

I got my 8-frame beehive kit yesterday, ordered from Betterbee in NY.  There seems to be an awful lot of extra space in the boxes when the frames are in - there's room for another whole frame I think.  Won't the bees fill in all of that extra space and make things difficult?

Second, I need to paint the boxes.  I understand that bees are pretty sensitive to chemicals - is there any recommendation about what sort of paint to use?  Oil-based?  Latex?

Thanks for any help.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Hello From Vermont!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »
Place all the frames in the middle of your hive bodies (centered)-all the extra space will be on the two sides. It will over time get some burr comb but nothing to worry with or about.

As far as paint, most beeks here are all about a good deal, so basically anything that you can find at a home improvement center's mistint paint section works great. I started out with white latex, now I have some greens, some pinks, etc. Its all basically up to you, just be sure to paint the outside faces only-leave the insides bare.

Welcome to the site

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
go to your local hardware store and buy the least glaring mis-tints that you can live with :-).  the bees don't care.  i prefer latex because it's easier to slop on and clean up.  don't get hung up on indoor or outdoor paint.  either will do.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:03 pm »
If your local dump (land fill) has a paint exchange program like the ones here do you can grab paint for free.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
Welcome to the site!

anything