Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Twelve days old  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Twelve days old
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »
The incubated babies, growing like weeds.  They will be 12 days old on Wednesday.  31 blacks and the rest golden, yellow, beige (there was 72 incubated).

I took all the blacks to the auction yesterday, got $2 a chick.  I would have liked more money, but holy smokin' cadoodalhoppers, there was whole lotta chicks for sale there.  I kept the light coloured ones and will sell them privately.  I have been selling them for $4 and have sold a fair number.  More chicks to hatch on this Sunday coming up.  About 60, am I rather crazy, there has to be a time when I just say, no more, smiling.  Beautiful days in our life.  Health.  Cindi

The blacks

The rest that are hangin' around their brooding pen

And oh, gotta show you a picture of me holding Ivan, my light brahma rooster, he is almost looking pretty much fully mature.  Although his saddle feathers will still grow more.  Boy they take a long time to mature.  He was born September 28, last, that makes him......doing math....hold on....takes a while, smiling -- right he is 8 months old now.

Ken loves our barnyard birds as much as I do.  And he thinks Ivan is just the cat's meow!!!

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Twelve days old
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »
Cindi, it is amazing how fast those little buggers grow!  Ivan is a handsome guy! The auction close to our house is an adventure!  It's a whole different atmosphere taking you back in time.  Summer they have plants @ 1pm!  Good luck selling your little ones. I have some EE's left on Craigs list. I love them cause they are all so different!  Keep those pics coming!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Twelve days old
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:34:15 am »
Brahma Rooster's can take 10-11 months to fully mature, the hens usually start laying at 8-9 months.  Jersey Giants take even longer, the hens don't begin laying until 10-11 months and the Roosters can be over a year old before they are fully mature.

My turkeys are going gang busters.  I have 1 Midget White (tom I think), 14 Bourbon Reds ( 4 toms, 10 hens (?)), and 2 Bronze (both hens (?)).  Along with the 6 Austrolorp hens, 6 Golden Laced Wynadott hens, and 13 Jersey Giants (12 hens, 1 Rooster) I'm going to have a lot of eggs this fall and winter.  I'm keeping the 4 Brahma hens and the Brahma/Orpington Rooster and sending the rest of my older birds to the stew pot.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything