Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dead brood  (Read 3580 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
dead brood
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:18:56 pm »
nearly every day i'm seeing one or two perfectly formed white brood on the ground near the hive   is this normal?   also yesterday i found two young bees with one normal wing and one deformed wing each     should i be worried?

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: dead brood
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
you better check for mites. or it could be normal as bees remove them if they die.  But deformed bees is a good indication of mites
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »
you better check for mites. or it could be normal as bees remove them if they die.  But deformed bees is a good indication of mites

We don't have mites here in Australia - Tina, the dead brood 'may' be chalkbrood? have you inspected recently? in regard the deformed wings - i haven't a clue

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:18 am »
it doesn't seem to be chalkbrood     it wasn't happening until we moved the brood into a new hive box     maybe we were too rough although we did go very slow and careful       i'll take a sample and ask at the bee club on sunday

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »
Could it have been cold enough for some chilled brood.  The brood can be chilled if out of the hive.  Hive temp is in the high 30s Celsius.  Can you post a photo?
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kingsā€
Lewis Carroll

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »
if there are anymore today i'll try to get a photo    they are just nice soft normal looking babies (several) and 2 young adults with one wing deformed     it was about 29C when we did the transfer from the old hive and we did leave one patch of capped brood out of the hive for about half an hour   we didn't see the brood , we thought it was all honey and by then we had the honey super on again so we put it in the honey super    it had heaps of bees on it(the brood patch)   but maybe that's what we did wrong

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:03:49 am »
hi
   could be drone brood they get ride them in winter.

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:47:04 am »
there didn't seem to be any drone cells on the combs  I haven't seen any drones either      but there have been no more casualties today and the hive is booming so hopefully it was just something inexperience did

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:39 am »
G'day Tina, 

I wouldn't get to worked up about a few larvae chucked out.  You may have damaged a few when you were moving frames.  In your climate you could leave brood out for a while - particularly if it is humid.

They will also throw out brood if there is a bit of SHB damage although you will see more than a few & they will be hollow & damaged from the beetle larvae.

Yanta

anything