Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone ever done this?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Anyone ever done this?
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »
I have a 2-story nuc that was a bit light on stores and I had some empty drawn out frames so I sprayed the frames lightly with water and then sprinkled fine sugar into the empty cells.  I gave another light spray to help hold the sugar in place then put on the colony for the winter.  Has anyone ever done this before? 

I got the idea at the state beekeeps meeting from a guy who did a demonstration, but instead of dry sugar he pressure sprayed syrup into the cells.  I didn't want to add that much moisture this time of year so I went with the dry sugar.  Would it be better to just do the newspaper thing with dry sugar on top. 

I may do that, too, but I had a couple of drawn out frames in the box (one had a little bit on stored honey on it) and thought I might as well get some feed in them since this is only a 5 frame medium nuc and when the girls move up I wanted food in all 5 top frames before they had to go even higher to hit the newspaper.  Comments?
linda d

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Anyone ever done this?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:50:23 pm »
Bees think sugar crystals as carbage and carry them out or drop onto floor.
I have done that.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:01 pm »
I have heard of pouring syrup right on the sides of the frames, but I think that might be a little messy.  Same with dry sugar.  If you first pour some sugar into the cells, then sprayed with water and then let harden before you put the frames back, that might work, or put the dry sugar on top of the cluster over newspaper.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:38 am »
If it's dry, they tend to haul it out, as Finski says.  If it's damp they are more likely to see it as food and start eating it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:23:10 am »
idaxon writes:
but instead of dry sugar he pressure sprayed syrup into the cells.  I didn't want to add that much moisture this time of year so I went with the dry sugar.

tecumseh:
Kelley use to sell a machine (basically a pump, a tank and a manifold with small holes drilled in the sides) that was used for filling frames.  I have something like the Kelley machine setting half constructed in my shop.  you can accomplish something like the same thing by using syrup, a flat squeegee and lot of elbo grease and time.

my expereince with dry sugar is a bit different from Finski and Michael Bush.  we use to feed it in the dry form in the late winter for EMERGENCY rations.  very simply it was use to help keep a hive from starving at the very end of winter.  as long as there was little coming in the front door the bees would use the dry sugar but once the first flow came on they would routinely toss it out the front door.  with out a doubt wetting the dry sugar or placing in a place where the cluster's moisture would wet the sugar would make uptake much quicker (and easier for the bees since they need not haul the water).
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:56:12 pm »
When I tried without wetting at all they often hauled it out.  Once even an edge of it is wet they realize it's food.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:46 am »
Do you guys think they are taking it when wet Due too Needing the moisture and then the sugar is a Bonus to the moisture. Is there such a thing of a hive waterer.
 I know all the talk of moisture but just thinking out loud

Tom
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 11:56:39 am »
I used the really fine sugar as opposed to regular granulated. Probably could have used powdered sugar (without any cornstarch, of course).  And I was hoping that it might help absorb some of the moisture during the winter months.

Also, I kind of put it on there to be emergency stores.  Thought it was better than leaving completely empty frames.
linda d

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
Your plan sure can't harm the bees I wouldn't think and it might help them. I'd say it was good thinking on your part...even if they remove it.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »
The moisture certainly helps them take it, yes.  But it also forces them to see it as food instead of garbage.
-------------------

anything