Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Western Bee Supply  (Read 2274 times)

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
Western Bee Supply
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:14 am »
Has anyone ordered wooden ware from Western Bee Supply, what was your experience? Shipping---reasonable? other comments?

Thinking of placing a large order, just doing some due diligence :?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Western Bee Supply
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:50:21 am »
If you have bought from Dadant's in the past, you have been buying from Westernbee already.
Going direct with a larger order may save you some money in the long run.
Shipping distance makes all the difference.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:00:50 am »
I haven't ordered from them, but some will give free shipping on large orders.  The last I ordered was from Mann Lake, over $100 was free shipping.  Good luck

Joe

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
Are you sure about that tefer2?
I see that Westernbee has budget supers for 5.50 if you buy in bulk, whereas the cheapest I see them at Dadent is 7.75 each.

I have ordered from Westernbee before. They are a little odd. I find that their customer service is sort of funky. Also I hate having to wait for a shipping quote because their online store doesn't calculate it. On the other hand it seems that for me and my location they have the best prices and shipping rates. I have been pretty happy with the gear that I have purchased. I got a pallet of budget grade supers and frames from them a few years back and only had a few throwaways. 

I have also purchased from Mann Lake. I like the fact that the shipping is already figured into the price so that you can go online and see immediately what the order is going to cost. Also their customer service is much less funky, more official and solid sounding on the phone.

I am currently looking to purchase some more gear and so I have been doing some research. Here is the breakdown of my order and quotes from both companies:

WesternBee:

WW619 6 5/8 Supers - Budget STANDARD 10-FRAME                                                      $5.50 x 50    $275.00
WW629 6 1/4 Budget Frame WEDGE TOP BAR/SOLID BOTTOM BAR-WAX FOUNDATION   $0.50 x 300    $150.00
                                                                                                                                   Shipping       $120.00
                                                                                                                                      Total        $ 545.00
Mann Lake:

WW-607_b  6 5/8"  Unassembled Medium Super Budget 10 Frame                                 $7.70 x  50       $385.00
FR-832 6 1/4" Unassembled Select Frames - Groove Top  - Case of 100                         $77.00 x 3         $231.00
                                                                                                                                            No Shipping Cost
                                                                                                                                               Total: $616.00

So it looks like, to my zip code at least, that even with added shipping Westernbee beats Mann Lakes price by $70.

However, the way that Westernbee does their shipping again becomes an issue. I saw on the quote that the shipping quoted was for shipping to a "commercial location" as opposed to a "residential location", so I have had to ask for a new quote that includes residential shipping to see if that changes the price. Kind of a pain in the *&%*&%$. I am hoping that on Monday they will get back to me with an updated quote and I will then be able to compare their prices and chose which to order from.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:47:55 am »
Most of all my woodenware (before I started building all my stuff) was purchased from Western Bee.  I have also purchased from Mann Lake. I like the prices from Western better, I like the handholds in the Western hives better too.  Mann Lake's website is much better, but that doesn't matter to me.  I've never had any customer service issues with either of them and the quality of the product is about the same as far as I can remember.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:33 am »
Dadants owns Westernbee.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:36 am »
So Westernbee got back to me this morning with an answer to my inquiry about added costs for "residential delivery". Their reply was less than helpful:

"Alfred,
I can only guess but do know that the residential charges start at $50 and if they need to bring a liftgate it could be another $50 at least. You might check to see if there is a local business that would accept your delivery. The extra charges would be payable at time of delivery. We can ask them to call you in advance but some companies charge $45 to make that phone call.
Thanks!
Vicki Erickson"

This leaves me with no firm cost for my order. Which is one of the issues that I have had with them.
On the other hand it looks like it could still be cheaper than Mann Lake.
The overall price being $70 less, if the residential delivery charges come in at less than $70 then I come out ahead. Or if they are more than $70 then I am better off with Mann Lake......

The part that I don't like is not being able to do a clear comparison before buying.

Moots

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:50 am »
Alfred,
Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  You've given them ample opportunity to give you a firm price, and they haven't...Sounds like best case, they save you $70, worse case, who knows?  I'd spend the $70 with Mann Lake and take comfort in the fact that you know what you are in for.