Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello all...It is very nice to meet you.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline riverose

• New Bee
Hello all...It is very nice to meet you.
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:16:59 pm »
My name is riverose.

Or, well, it is not, but you understand.

I love bees, and am very interested in beekeeping. Unfortunately, I live in a high-class area of Texas where the people have their head in the clouds and would not want me to have bees in my backyard. They would complain to the police if their little children snuck over and got themselves stung.

So, you see, that is a difficult problem for me. Plus, I live in an area where Africanised bees are well-established. This would also anger the neighbours.

You get the idea.

I am not in school right now ( I do my school work at home. It's convenient for me and my treatment of my illness) , but I am 15 and my dream is to move up north a bit and keep bees, because I've never been very far up north. orz

I like to garden, too. It's fun, but since it's winter, my garden is overrun with weeds.

It is very nice to meet everyone. I would hope that we will all get along.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello all...It is very nice to meet you.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »
hi riverose,  hang out and learn.  by the time you are able to keep bees, you'll have a lot of knowledge.  while you wait to fulfill your dream, maybe you can find someone who will let you work in their bee yard and get some hands on experience.  you may even find someone who will let you keep bees on their property.

hang on to your dreams.  there were many thing i wanted to do when i was your age.  it took some time, but i have been able to do most of those things.  beekeeping was on the list.  now i have bees.....or they have me  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline riverose

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:31:05 pm »
hi riverose,  hang out and learn.  by the time you are able to keep bees, you'll have a lot of knowledge.  while you wait to fulfill your dream, maybe you can find someone who will let you work in their bee yard and get some hands on experience.  you may even find someone who will let you keep bees on their property.

hang on to your dreams.  there were many thing i wanted to do when i was your age.  it took some time, but i have been able to do most of those things.  beekeeping was on the list.  now i have bees.....or they have me  :-)

That would be fun. I don't live far from the rural areas. (although they are disappearing due to development)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:34:27 pm »
Welcome aboard riverose.  Hopefully you can move to a place later where they will not be so narrow-minded.

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:02:27 pm »
Riverrose, this is just a suggestion, well, let me ask a question first. Do you know full well that your neighbors would oppose you keeping bees? Did you ask them? I point this out because there are a lot of people on our forums here that keep bees in the city, but have informed their neighbors and things have worked out just fine. I am one of them. Do your parents understand your desires to keep bees? They can perhaps help you with this persuit. Don't give up just yet. Of course if you have consulted with your neighbors and there are many red flags, think about joining a local beekeeping club. There are probably beekeepers in your area that wouldn't mind mentoring you. And lastly, don't forget about the rural areas you've mentioned, your parents would more than likely help you with a little transportation to and from a bee yard, unless you have your own set of wheels of course. Best wishes and good luck to you!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:18:49 am »
Riverose.  Welcome to this forum.  This is a place where you can spend lots of time to learn about bees.  Then....as other forum members have said, you can keep bees on your own.  But maybe too, you could keep a couple of hives in your yard.  You may indeed be surprised at people.  If you can't, find someone that will let you come and help with their bees.  Welcome, ask any questions that your heart desires, and have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:02:25 pm »
Also keep in mind that most beekeepers have at least some hives somewhere OTHER THAN their own yard.  Some have all of their hives on other peoples land.  This is typical.  If you have some friends in the country you might talk to them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything