Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frozen Drawn Comb  (Read 1371 times)

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
Frozen Drawn Comb
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:45:14 am »
So I have room to freeze 54 medium frames of drawn comb at a time.   I have had 36 frames in freezer since the August harvest, with the last 6 supers just extracted yesterday.  To make room to freeze these freshly extracted frames, can I now put the frozen ones  back in the supers, wrap in plastic and store for the winter?  Soon it will be freezing every night in these parts and I was thinking that I did not have to keep the frames in freezer until April.  Thanks!

James
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline steve

• House Bee
Re: Frozen Drawn Comb
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:02:18 am »
Yep James, that will work.......just make sure that you install the supers in the "garbage bags" as quickly as possable so that the frozen frames do not have a chance to collect moisture ..........excessive moisture well cause mildue to form on the frames...not pleasant when you open the bag in the spring. The other option is to allow the frames to thaw and dry in a dry place (your house) for a day or so then install in bags..........
                                                                                                                        good luck,
                                                                                                                                  Steve

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Frozen Drawn Comb
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:36:28 am »
I'd put them out after there is a hard freeze to kill the wax moths outside.  Otherwise I'd put them on the hives to clean them up and protect them.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin