Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russian Drawn Comb  (Read 3204 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Russian Drawn Comb
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:38:50 am »
I have heard alot of people say russians are not that good at drawing out foundation if this is true I might be going in the right direction, see I'm getting 5 packages of cordovan's this month and I wanted to get russians but I cant get the russian until july, I was just thinking of letting the carny's draw out the comb and introducing the russian's queens then , I might leave the carny's in thier hive's and take some drawn out brood frame's to introduce to the russians to give them good comb to start on. would this be over kill, comments???
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 12:11:20 pm »
The only thing you might be careful of is the introduction of the Russian queen.  I heard this for the first time at our club meeting a week ago and had never heard it before. Apparently, Russian queens have a completely different pheremone makeup than Italians, buckfast, carniolians etc. So it can be a challenge to get them accepted into a hive of a different species. This is the first time I've heard anything like this but the guy who said it is a well respected keeper who has provided nucs and packages in our area for years. Maybe someone else has heard something about this or has an opinion.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:36:19 pm »
on the russian queen introduction , I heard it also , been told to put the queen cage in 2 days then pull the cork out and expose the candy.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:27:15 pm »
Or do a push in cage.  That's probably the most reliable.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 02:12:56 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
Or do a push in cage.  That's probably the most reliable.

Micheal,

Is this what you mean by a push in cage?

I tried a couple of these last year,  and had really mixed results.  It seemed that the bees would chew thru the comb rather quickly around the edges and release the queen.  Of the  3 I tried, I think 2 where released with 24 hrs.

Have you had any luck with them?  Maybe I'm missing something here.   I really like the idea of giving her more room and the ability to start laying,  but I haven't seen it yet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 09:25:38 pm »
I did buy one of the plastic ones as you have in the picture, but have not used it.  What I've always used is simply made out of #8 hardware cloth.  The idea is to put it over some emerging brood.  That way the emerging bees accept the queen, the queen starts laying in the empty cells that the emerging brood came out of and by the time the rest of the bees chew their way under there is a laying queen with a full entourage of attendants.

http://www.honeyflowfarm.com/beeproject/images/puchincagelarge.jpg

http://members.aol.com/queenb95/QnIntroInstr.html
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Russian Drawn Comb
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:52:31 pm »
I'll have to make some out of the hardware cloth and try them.  It seems like they would penetrate deeper into the wax.  I found that the plastic onces have a wide plastic lip that doesn't go into the wax very well.  Thanks for the advice......
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison