Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on the march.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Bees on the march.
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »
       This was a swarm from one of my own hives which settled in a protea shrub 15 metres away from their hive.

My first attempt was to get them into a 4 frame nuc but as they filled that up I realised it was not going to be big enough. To get them into the nuc I cut and then shook a couple of the small branches into the box, placed a stick and part of a branch from the swarm which was partly on the ground and bunched amongst leaves and grass, then lo and behold they started a procession into the nuc.
        Went and got a super with the intention of transferring them from the nuc but by the time I got back they had almost all marched back to the original spot. Obviously they were missing the queen.
        After about two hours of scooping and brushing and getting a lot to bunch on leaves they settled in for the night. Next morning all still intact and now three days later they seemed to be happy 15 metres away from their original hive and i must have got the queen second time round.
         The photo is of the first trek to the nuc and it was just fascinating watching them march just like a stream of ants.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Bees on the march.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »
Awesome photo Geoff, doesn't the sight of that just say "this is all worth it"? Swarms are sooo cool, it's almost like you have total control and can just wave a magic wand to have them do your bidding! Of course nothing is further from the truth. :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:43:23 am »
Geoff, nice, I too love the way the swarm will move the entire bunch, walking steadily into their new home, it is an amazing sight, glad you got this done, pat yourself on the back.  Have a great, most awesome day, with that health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:07 pm »
My wife got a swarm from the ground the same way.  I love that you guys are just startong your summer I will be living vicariousley through all you Aussies  :-D Congrats on your catch.

Dave
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

anything