Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding passageways to middle of comb?  (Read 9356 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
Re: Adding passageways to middle of comb?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »
I suspect you are right, from everything I have read it seems they would just "patch it up". But that would be OK...it's really only winter movement that I was considering. We get long long stretches of severe cold.

I have been having a bit of a private chat with T-Beek who has comparable weather and runs a long hive. He has also heard/read of drilling the combs in fall. But he has noticed the bees leaving holes in the middle of the combs on their own...assumably to aide in moving around. I wasn't clear on how large the holes were.  This was encouraging news to me. If the bees own programing has them doing it then I will just stay out of they way.

Somewhere I had gotten the impression that the bees will usually fill a long space like this with comb running parallel to the long face. My concern stemmed entirely from a worry that by using frames and comb guides to encourage short comb runs, I would be "tricking" the bees own programming and might want to help undue some inadvertent negative side effects..like restricted winter movement....I am an overthinker/worrier and it shows!

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »
I tried drilling one or two 3/4 inch holes in the middle of some deep one piece plastic frames and foundation.  I thought it might allow the bees better movement.  About half of the time, the bees drew comb over a hole.  About the other half of the time the bees drew comb around the hole.  I could find no rhyme or reason why the bees would cover a hole in one frame but leave the hole in the next frame open.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:34 pm »
not only will they fill the holes, but they will use that middle structure to attach comb to the next frame.  you will have to cut it apart for your inspections.   :-D

nothing wrong with your thinking, and it will just cost you a little more work, and some brood to try.

bees have no problem getting around the hive.  you can open a wall space and find comb 5 feet long and stacked in 3 or 4 deep.  they manage to transit the comb, raise brood, and store, without problem.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.