Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What have you learned this season?  (Read 16853 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
Re: What have you learned this season?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 12:44:31 pm »
Dryer lint works great as a fuel but only if your clothes are natural fiber i.e denim, cotton, linen etc. not poly-and the best part is that it is free.

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 01:37:51 pm »
What a good question !     I learned several things that will stay with me the rest of my earthly life .  1.   I learned that if I don't make sure the bottom cuffs of my pantlegs on my beesuit are sealed properly , a bee may get inside the suit , crawl up my leg and into my underwear .
 2.  I learned how to do a dance in the the beeyard that makes my wife and 3 children laugh hysterically ( see #1 ) .
 3.   I learned that beekeeping can be a very enjoyable hobby for the whole family .  The children are fascinated and want to participate in all aspects of it .   My daughter , the eldest , says she is considering beekeeping as a career.
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 11:01:14 pm »
I Learned that Dee Lusby and Michael Bush Know what they are talking about.
I learned that Ants are even more evil than I thought.
I learned that a lot of people care about bees even if they don't beekeep

kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 10:20:11 am »
Burl, now that was a funny one, I just pictured you out there doing the waggle dance, haa, haa, laughing,  :) :) :)  Have a wonderful day, and remember to keep the pants inside your socks!!!!  Beautiful life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 12:15:10 pm »
1. I have learned that I should have studied beekeeping at least one year obtaining bees.
2. I have learned to let go ( kind of ) of my obsession with having the "perfect hive"...do my best then give the rest over to Mother Nature.
3. I have learned not to wear yoga pants while inspecting a hive..ouch!
4. I have learned to use small cell foundation to help control varroa instead of pesticides.
5. I have learned that Boardman feeders are not for me.
6. I have learned how to make a sugar syrup for Fall.
7. I have learned that fellow beekeepers of all stages of experience are willing to share their trials and tribulations with others, and for that I am extremely grateful.
8. I have learned lot's more too...but don't want to bore anyone...
9. I have learned that BeeMaster rocks!

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 12:54:49 pm »
Hey,

I have learned everything I know from starting this June w/no exposure to, or knowledge of, bees at all.

this includes (all self taught)

I learned bee biology and mannerisms.
I learned the wonder of lifting a frame full of bees and they didn't mind a bit.
I learned I can make my own hives my own way and they work great. (now see how they winter in them)
I learned I don't have to worry about suits veils or color of clothes w/TBH's. (so far   lol)
I learned what a swarming hive looks like now.   (drats) and what to do about it before it happens.
I learned what fascinating things hive products are/do, even including honey (lol).
I learned a lot of people that don't have bees know and care a lot about them.
I learned all about farmers markets and their politics (curses).
I learned that honey is the best seller w/skin cream and lip balms second and candles ...... not at all (who'd thunk) but make the nicest gifts.
I learned to make a Lang hive my style and the wonder of box joints. (now see if they are any good over a 12 mo. period)
I learned my first chimney extraction and would not fear removing bees from anywhere a sturdy ladder would reach.
I learned that flowers are freely available in a city for at least a month after the country flowers have finished.

It's been a banner year and it will be a long winter awaiting spring.

cheers

peter

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 02:30:33 pm »
Well lets see......hmmmm.....

I learn that bees build up quick, that they dont like the color black.  I have also learned that people are interested in bees when you mention your a beekeeper.  Its kind of funny to watch people expression when I tell them how many bees are normally in a hive. :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 04:56:31 pm »
>>that they dont like the color black

After white and tan (the old timer's standby) green is the most accepted color to wear around bees--they think you're a bush--followed by yellow.
Blue is just as bad as black-especially navy blue.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 08:37:43 pm »
I learned in a screwed up year with late first freezes in January and late last hard freezes in April, I need to rethink my queen rearing.  I think I'll have to use swarm boxes to get them started and feed them more diligently to keep them going during cell finishing and feed the mating nucs during mating.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 09:10:07 pm »
This is educational and entertaining reading. 

Tillie, why not drink Coke before examining a hive?  Is it the affects of caffiene?  The sugar sweet breath it gives?  A simple joke I am missing?  Just curious.

I am learning the thrill of selling "my own" honey.  And the satisfaction of having a customer come back and tell me how "GOOD that honey is.  Can I get a couple more bottles of that stuff?" :)
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 11:40:53 pm »
Well, as an Atlantan, I think Coke is the perfect drink at almost any time, but apparently the bees are turned off and even irritated by caffeine on your breath.  Since I'm not a coffee drinker, Coke creates the caffeine issue for me and the bees. 

Linda T in the N Ga Mountains where it is cold, clear and beautiful tonight

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2007, 07:54:59 am »
I learned how to clean up an AFB outbreak, whilst overseas!

James.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 11:16:42 am »
Thanks Tillie, I will add that to the long list of things I have learned this season.

I have also learned the names of some plants I had never noticed before.  I saw bees on them so I looked them up in my wildflower/weed book.  For example: bird's foot trefoil and boneset.  Also I found bees like broccoli flowers.  I always used to pick the flowers and feed them to the chickens but now my broccoli has seed pods hanging from every plant.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 01:03:06 pm »
>learned how to clean up an AFB outbreak, whilst overseas!

You have telekinesis?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 11:53:33 pm »
Being my first season keeping bees I learned tons of stuff!
 I learned to use a bandana under my helmet to keep the sweat from getting in my eyes. I learned that i'd rather get stung by a few bees instead of 1  paper wasp. I learned to slow down around my hives when fooling with them. I learned that I notice flowers more than I ever did before. I learned I dont need gloves as much as I thought I might. I learned there is a CCD problem and most non-bee or non-pollinator farm people arent concerned.I learned that its a great feeling to save drowning bees or bees that are walking around appearing lost. I learned that I can still become interested in something with the attittude of an 8 year old. I learned that I'm very fortunate to have a friend who likes to help me do bees. And one more thing,..Ive learned that God has blessed me with people like the ones here who have provided me with so much more info on bees that I ever dreamed of!
I thank you all for giving your time on these forums for the benefit of people like me who, perhaps, may still be looking at bees through the sides of a glass jar!
yalls friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 12:28:30 am »
John, your gratitude of things shines through like the finest stars above.  Have a wonderful day, keep on learning, you are doing a great job with things, especially your attitude.  You are going to go far in all your endeavours in life, I feel this.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in our greatest chance in life, to be a part of our world.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 12:49:27 am »
>I learned to use a bandana under my helmet to keep the sweat from getting in my eyes.

For a second there I thought you said banana... and I thought WOW! That's a really bad idea...  all the way around.
-------------------

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:03 am »
Well, as an Atlantan, I think Coke is the perfect drink at almost any time, but apparently the bees are turned off and even irritated by caffeine on your breath.  Since I'm not a coffee drinker, Coke creates the caffeine issue for me and the bees. 
and never ever ever go into your bees with alcohol on your breath, especially while not wearing a veil.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 02:12:26 am »
and never ever ever go into your bees with alcohol on your breath, especially while not wearing a veil.

Yeah.  I found that one out my first year with bees.  Don't go near the hives with an open beer bottle.  They don't take too kindly to that either.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 10:42:37 am »
Michael.  Now that was a funny thing about the bandana that John was talking about.  Honestly, when I read his post I thought it said banana too, and thought to myself that that was kind of weird, but oh well, people do do strange things, but then just carried on reading.

I wonder what made me see banana and you see banana too.  I would never have noticed that it said bandana unless you had pointed it out.  That was the weirdest thing!!!!  Have a wonderful and great day, in our great life.  Cindi

anything