Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I bought used hive components  (Read 2226 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
I bought used hive components
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »
I got a sweet deal from a local bee keeper he sold me a new hive body with frames and foundation, and I also bought used items from him which are a top, inner board and bottom board, the used items are pretty clean but should I sanitize them or any thing? the top and bottom board are some type of white thick plastic. If I am suppose to sanitize them how should I do it?
Lori

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: I bought used hive components
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
Hi, I might be wrong to suggest this but a professional Beek told me if I get second hand gear to wash it well with a mild solution of water and bleach.  Then let it air for a couple of weeks exposed to the sun.

Others may not agree.

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeV

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »
1/4 cup of bleach to 1 gal of water. Wash then rinse till there is no more bleach smell. Don.t know if that would work on wooden ware but it should be fine on plastic. My .02 for what its worth.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:41 pm »
A wise old beek instructed me to pass a propane torch over all the interior surfaces.  You don't have to scorch it, just heat it a little.  I am using a lot of used stuff with no problems.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:20 pm »
VM, her wood is new. The rest is plastic. Coming from a known beek, I would just use it as is.

Scorching is for used woodenware.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:39:27 am »
Maybe I should open my eyes when I read. :roll:

anything