Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Excess Moisture in Lid  (Read 4636 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
Excess Moisture in Lid
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
 I was doing an inspection toady and noticed that a couple of my lids were fairly damp with some mould actually forming, anyone else having this problem? i dont have ventilation holes in mine dont know if that would help? one of my hives are really full on with using proplylis  they have it on everything i rekon they would seal up any vetilation.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Re: Excess Moisture in Lid
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:11:38 pm »
If you use the inner covers then I just cut a slot about an inch wide in one side and put the slot up in the summer to pull out the heat that builds up in summer and put them down to pull out the moisture in winter. I killed all my bees FOR THREE YEARS TILL i FOUND OUT HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS. i HAD ALL 4 HIVES MAKE IT THIS YEAR. I must be doing something right. I think in winter the upper ventilation is worth more than bottom. Harold

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »
I was reading this article just last night. It may interest you.

http://bindaree.com.au/hints/hive-mat/
Shane

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
I have no ventilation in the lid itself. The innercover is what I ventilate with. It has a 3/4 inch board that goes all the way around and has a 1/8th. in board in center.. It also has a hole an inch and a half wide by about 3 in. in the middle. I just cut a slot in one side so they can get out . Just got to remember not to leave it on with the slot up for winter or the air and moisture hits the lid and runs back into the hive. I dont think you have as bad a winter as we do so you shouldnt have any trouble. Harold

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:43 am »
Hey Raw Find

Go to bunnings and find a vent that looks like this http://www.nikpol.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/V/E/VENT40W-1_2.jpg

I have put one of these on the front of each of my lids, this will sort it out.

Also as ShareJ those matts work a treat, I use door mats from bunnings and cut them in half (they are super cheap like $2) they look like this http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/1/7/2/6/5/webimg/439814832_o.jpg

I used to use vinal with "fluff" (technical term) on the back but it was too hard to find.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »
In Sweden we ventilate out the bottom of the hive in winter.

If you want an inexpensive solution to your problem put two match sticks on one side of the hive/box/lid.

This creates a small gap for moisture to escape,

Also remove one frame or two so that the space nearest the walls are easier to ventilate.

good luck

mvh edward :P

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
This is interesting, it obviously depends on where you get your lids from as to whether they have vents or not. The Migratory tops I get from the supplier I use have 4 20mm holes in the rim (2 front & 2 rear) and 4 bits of perforated sheet metal to nail over them. Next batch of lids I make I am thinking about leaving 1 of the bits of sheet metal off to give the bees a top entrance.
 I use Lino off cuts to make hive mats similar to those in ShaneJ's article, but I've not seen the slot cut in the middle before.
Good luck.
Paul.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »
Sorry, I dont use migratory lids for wintering. I think they work for summer and for moving but winter is a whole different ballgame. Harold

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:36 am »
Grab a spade bit and drill two holes front and back on your lid, spaced about thirds across the edge. Then staple some flywire over the hole. Voila!

I buy a 4 pack of plastic table mats from Kmart for $2 and use them as hive mats, they fit nicely in an 8 frame box with no trimming needed.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
Grab a spade bit and drill two holes front and back on your lid, spaced about thirds across the edge. Then staple some flywire over the hole. Voila!

I buy a 4 pack of plastic table mats from Kmart for $2 and use them as hive mats, they fit nicely in an 8 frame box with no trimming needed.

Yes got a spade bit out and did just that, i had some mesh thats used on the corner of walls when rendering, put that on and within 2 mins i saw a bee squeeze her way in through the hole! darn those girls can get into tight spaces ! so had to add a finer peice of mesh,
the mats from kmart sound like a good idea  are they smooth or woven?  Im thinking that the reason my honey has taken so long to get capped may partially be due to the excess moisture up there that they couldnt get out, this could be a win win situation, many thanks to everyone that has posted their suggestion, Neil

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:29:59 pm »
Heat goes up. So does the moisture. I am convinced you will see a great difference now. Good luck and God bless. Harold

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:06 pm »
Heat goes up. So does the moisture. I am convinced you will see a great difference now. Good luck and God bless. Harold

makes so much sense ! im hoping it will improve my results its all trial and error here! thanks Harold  :)