Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how i have ants in my top bar hive but there are not even bees yet?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline thatguy324

• New Bee
when i get the bees i will be moving the hive about a mile from where it sits now but still do i need to worry?

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: how i have ants in my top bar hive but there are not even bees yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:05:29 am »
not exactly sure what you mean.....are ants living in the hive that is empty? do you have it outside? are they actually living there or just crawling on it? ants do roam all over looking for stuff...you'll find them everywhere...it isn;t a surprise to find them on a hive. and what do you mean do you still need to worry? I doubt the ants are going to travel a mile in search of the hive once you move it...so no....?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:09 am »
Are the ants living in the hive or do you have a feeder in the hive?   And where are you located? 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:49 pm »
If there aren't any bees and the ants have set up house there - just pour some boiling hot water on them. Leaves no chemical residue  ;)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »
Ants love being out of the rain.  Those little ones that like to move their larvae around, like to move it where they get heat from the sunshine, but no rain (like between the cover and the top bars or between a cover and an inner cover).  I would just brush them off.  if they have a big nest inside the actual box, I would just flip it upside down and dump them out.  A good medium strength slam to the ground should get almost all of them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:48:31 pm »
some grease on the legs helps before one gets ants or after they are killed out