Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follower Boards  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
Follower Boards
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:02 pm »
I was going through my old Bee Culture mags and came across an article (Feb 2004) about follower boards.  They are 3/4 in plywood or other material, cut to the size of your frames (deep, med or shallow) and placed in the #1 and #10 position.  Claims are that it gives the hive better air circulation in winter (less condensation close to the bees)and the queen will lay closer to them than she would the hive body wall in the summer.
I also thought for those trying to cut down on hive weight, instead of cutting the hive down to an 8 frame hive these could be put in as filler,in your 10 frame equipment, to reduce that weight.  Anyone have experience with them?
Jim

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Follower Boards
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:26 am »
MB has something on his site about swarm prevention useing slated racks and masonite follower boards to give the field bees cluster space.  I would think 3/4 plywood would end up heavyer

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:18 am »
Eugene Killion was a big fan of them as well and talks in detail of them in "Honey in the Comb". His design, as detailed in the book, was much thinner, and hence much lighter.  It is on my list of things to try, but haven't gotten there yet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:39 am »
I use  Follower Boards for about 30 years 1/4" plywood and sill use them

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:57:52 pm »
I am considering converting to 8 frame equipment, but this sounds like a good way to do it without spending a lot of money.  Are these just a top frame with a thin piece of masonite or similar material nailed onto the edge facing the center of the hive?
Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:34:07 pm »
Thanks for the link.  It is interesting reading indeed.  Why not use one one each end of the hive?  If I understand correctly, the board acts as an insulator to encourage the bees to raise brood all the way to the outside.  If this is the case, wouldn't one want to encourage that on both ends?  I have spoke to some beekeepers who hold that 8 frame brood boxes are better anyway due to the reluctance of the bees to spread as wide as ten frames in the brood nest.  (I personally am not learned enough on this to have an opinion one way or the other).  If this is so, would not follower boards on each side of the hive accomplish this goal? The other funciton of the board was to give room to manipulte the hive, but I could not see that having two would further this benefit more than just having the one.
Brian

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 03:45:06 pm »
I participated in a workshop last year and helped to make them.  I used them for a while, but found they added to much weight to my hives and then took them out.

But I am going to try and use them again for the winter.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:08:57 pm »
You do use them on each side.  Since they are only 3/8" wide,  you only remove one frame.

Annette,

What did you make them out of?   It seems that 2 3/8" followers wouldn't be any heavier, or at least not noticeably heavier than the frame that is removed.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:59:33 pm »
Thanks for the picture.  Now I understand mcuh better. I would like to try these in a couple of hives at least to see what observations I can make.
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 09:22:53 pm »
Mine are either 1/4 plywood, 1/8" masonite or the old anti swarm frames that someone gave me for the price of shipping.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:09 pm »
"Annette,

What did you make them out of?   It seems that 2 3/8" followers wouldn't be any heavier, or at least not noticeably heavier than the frame that is removed."

Robo

I will contact the beekeeper who had the workshop and find out the answer.  I don't really know what the wood was, but they are very heavy.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »
Ok here is a quote from Ernie Buda the President of the Sacramento Beekeeping Association. I took this workshop with him and made the follower boards.

"Annette, as it where I had some very expensive 3/4 inch plywood "scraps" that I received at no cost and that is what we used.  I have made others of common 3/4 inch plywood.  I have recently made several sets of medium (I use all medium supers on my hives) follower boards there where 1/2 inch thick plywood.  I would believe that the bees don't care how thick the material is.  They seem to accept the inside surface as the outside of their nest.  They do congregate in the space between the hive box and the follower board but I have not had any build comb there.  The follower board is exactly the same size as the frames except for the thickness and of course it is solid.  Some members have told me they made follower boards by using a standard frame filling in the center with solid material.  I am not sure how that works out, I would speculate that the bees would spend a bit of time on filling any little gaps with propolis -- a waste of bee resource -- if my speculation is accurate.
I have seen one members follower boards and they made contact with the end of the supers -- eliminating bee space at the end and I suspect making them very hard to move -- I am sure the bees put propolis where the board contacted the hive body.

I would suspect that any solid material that will stay flat in the hive atmosphere would work.  I would avoid metal because I think it might act as a conveyor of heat.  The airspace provided and the, in general, low conductivity of wood are additional positive attributes of follower boards.  The top bar because of strength issues should not be plywood, in my opinion.  Any solid wood would work, attention should be paid the wood grain direction to lessen the probability of the top bar splitting. 

The follower board is basically easy to make if of course you have the equipment.  The only thing I have found to be of importance other than just cutting the pieces the correct size is that the top bar needs to be the same thickness of the board material.  Care should be taken to sand the top board so the surface is flush / there should be no edge, even a small one for the hive tool to catch on when you clean bit of wax off.

If any one has additional question about follower boards they are free to email me. 

Ernie"

OK that is some information about follower boards.  If anyone wants to email him, let me know.

Annette

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:30 am »
I was going through my old Bee Culture mags and came across an article (Feb 2004) about follower boards.  They are 3/4 in plywood or other material, cut to the size of your frames (deep, med or shallow) and placed in the #1 and #10 position.  Claims are that it gives the hive better air circulation in winter (less condensation close to the bees)and the queen will lay closer to them than she would the hive body wall in the summer.
I also thought for those trying to cut down on hive weight, instead of cutting the hive down to an 8 frame hive these could be put in as filler,in your 10 frame equipment, to reduce that weight.  Anyone have experience with them?
Jim

So if the follower boards are the same size as the frame, this would give the bees access to the space outside of the follower. Dont the bees use this space?

Mick

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:54:36 am »
So if the follower boards are the same size as the frame, this would give the bees access to the space outside of the follower. Dont the bees use this space?

Mick

There is only a bee space on the outsides of the follower boards. They use the surface space like they do on the inside surface of the hive body.  It gives them more travel space between boxes. 

Mine are made out of scrap pieces of 3/8" plywood and look like Robo's.
It is also another wood surface that gets varnished with propolis by the bees.   
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 09:38:52 am »
So do you use them in all the boxes?

Mick

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 05:44:05 pm »
So do you use them in all the boxes?

Mick

I use Follower Boards only in the hive board not the honey super.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:54 pm »
>Dont the bees use this space?

As long as the space is between 1/4" and 3/8" never.  If it's larger, seldom.  Except to cluster in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JRH

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »
Resurrecting an old subject - Follower Boards

Why not make them out of Styrofoam?  I would think this would be particularly helpful for a hive going into winter where the bees have only seven or eight frames of honey storage available.  It's common for the bees to "tunnel up" inside a hive in winter, ignoring honey stored in the outer frames.  So why not just give them eight frames, and put a 1" Styrofoam insulating board cut to fit the inside dimensions of the hivebody in place of frames in positions 1 and 10?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »
Resurrecting an old subject - Follower Boards

Why not make them out of Styrofoam?  I would think this would be particularly helpful for a hive going into winter where the bees have only seven or eight frames of honey storage available.  It's common for the bees to "tunnel up" inside a hive in winter, ignoring honey stored in the outer frames.  So why not just give them eight frames, and put a 1" Styrofoam insulating board cut to fit the inside dimensions of the hivebody in place of frames in positions 1 and 10?
I have not tried this but I would think they would slowly chew them away if not protected somehow.   I have used styrofoam for top insulation in my winter vent boxes and by the end of winter they chew a large dent in it

anything