Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Conditions for crystalizing honey  (Read 1329 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
Conditions for crystalizing honey
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
I think I have two questions here.  Tho I'm also looking for comments as much as specific answers...

Firstly, I had a hive which failed even tho there were lots of stores.  So I've been freezing the frames from that hive four at a time (that's all my freezer has room for), cos I want to give them to my new NUC when I pick it up in May.  I'm wondering tho, what the conditions are that would cause the honey in these frames to crystalize after I've thawed them out.  I'd hate to lose them, but even more I'd hate to lose my new bees if I give them frames that have crystalized that'd make them sick.

I freeze em for a week then store them in a deep box in my basement.  I have 8 frames full of honey and 10 which were in the old brood box so are 1/3 honey and 2/3 drawn out comb.

Two,  when I get the new NUC,  do you have any suggestions as to the order in which I should introduce the old frames? 

Two and a half.....I thought I'd put the frames from the NUC into the deep surounded by some of the 1/3 honey 2/3 comb, and then shortly thereafter, add another deep on top with the frames full of honey.  Or is that asking for trouble?

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: Conditions for crystalizing honey
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »
I have been told that freezing honey stops crystallizing while they are frozen. No effect on the honey after thawed. ie freezing will not keep honey from crystallizing later after is has thawed. I have also been told and found it to be true that honey crystallizes fastest or is more likely to crystallize in temperates in the 60's. So storing you honey in the basement may not be best. Feeding bees crystallized honey will not make them sick, at least that has not been my experience. They probably will not be able to use it as fast as regular honey but they will still use it and they will be fine.

As far as placement I would put one full frame of honey on each side of the HB, put the nucs frames in the center then fill in the gaps with empty frames or part filled frames or foundation. If you are going to have the bees building comb and putting on a second HB they you might save some frames for when you do that. You just dont want them to be honey bound or they will swarm on you. When you put on a second HB they will probably move up faster if you have some frames drawn out or full on honey mixed in with the foundation frames. If you have all drawn comb you can just use that saves them the work of building it.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Conditions for crystalizing honey
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:28 am »
IF you have enough frames to do so, I'd put the nuc in the center of the box and surround it on both sides by frames of honey, and put a super on top right away. As the queen needs room to lay, the bees will move honey up to giver her room to lay and help them start drawing out foundation above much more quickly.

anything