Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and wet supers?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
SHB and wet supers?
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:41 am »
I never really had to deal with SHBs before,  but just took off some honey supers and found a couple of hives with 30 or so SHB.   From my limited knowledge, if I understand them correctly,  as the SHB run across the comb, they lay eggs as they go.   I have extracted the supers,  and they are sitting wet in the honey house waiting for the weekend to be put back on to be dried out.   Now I know SHB can take over in a matter of days.   Are my wet supers in danger of becoming slimed?  If so,  what can I do to prevent issues.  BTW,  freezing is not an option as there are too many.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: SHB and wet supers?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:25:02 pm »
Yes they are in danger. Try to get them on you hives as soon as possible. I had pulled honey frames last month and let them sit for 2 days because a situation came up preventing me from extracting. I had a couple of frames with a little bit of brood and when I pulled them out to extract they were already looking a little slimed. after close examination i found lots of SHB Larva. We took those frames and froze them, full of honey, and gave them back to a strong hive to clean out. Put them above the inner board or the bees will fill them back up. Here in FL I just put them back in the hive because the flow was still on. By the time I put my wet supers back in the hive, I could see small larva in the comb. A strong hive removes them pretty quickly. they show up in the oil trays. If the frames are pure honey they may be safe. SHB prefer the brood and pollen for laying. the larva will destroy the honey but I don't think the eggs are laid in pure honey frames.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »
Never thought at this age I would be wishing for a normal winter but I think a couple more like last year and SHB could make this there home. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:59:40 am »
If you see SHB's in your hives, you must take care when harvesting honey. Extract immediately when you pull supers. Do not wait more than 24 hours or you could have SHB maggots in your honey. After extracting freeze frames or place them back on the hives immediately. If they sit around they will get slimed. If they do get silmed, freeze or rinse the frames with water and shake the larva out and place them on a hive for a final cleaning. It may take several rinsings to get them out.

Speaking from experience,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan