Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Third strike trying for swarms.  (Read 3678 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Third strike trying for swarms.
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:11:36 pm »
I have a question? how long will a swarm stay at a transition location before moving on. I have had three swarm calls that I have missed. I got these calls slightly more than an hour after the swarms have arrived. it took me about 45 Min's to respond. by the time I get there they left :'(  . only a couple of bees remained.

what am I missing at getting these swarms? :?

john

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Third strike trying for swarms.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:35:13 pm »
I always say three days to 30 minutes, can never really tell, they might even to decide to start building comb right there!

I missed one by about an hour the other day and they had only been there about two hours.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:53:13 am by G3farms »
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:38 am »
john, i missed one by 5 minutes, they were there only 20 minutes two weeks ago.then again a few will just start bulding comb and stay put. they stay as long as they need too.jp and i had one stay  5 days, they were pissy when we got them though.         ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »
I got one last August that had been hanging on a pole for two weeks.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:32:40 am »
 you need to buy a faster vehicle. I've often thought about buying a used police car with lights and siren! :-D

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:56 am »
Typically, they cluster about 10 am and  leave about 2 pm.  But they could leave quicker.  My usual response to people is, they will probably leave, so if they are still there tomorrow, I'll come get them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »
I've many times wondered about the time they will "hang around". What I've found it that they will stay there about 24 hours. This year I've only missed on but I didn't wait long before I went and got them. I had one last week that was there on Thursday night and was gone by 2pm the next day. I have seen a swarm stay for as long as too weeks which I find strange.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:50 pm »
UPDATE. :pinkelephant:

Got a call this morning about 9:30 am . A man called and said that he had a swarm hanging on a tree limb. I asked how long they had been there. He said sense Saturday morning. I said you have got to be kidding. I told him I could not break away until 12:00 noon from work and that if they were still there that I would come and get them. I called at 11:45 and they were still there. I got there at 12;30 and they were hang in a ball about the size of a soccer ball. the he should me the hive. It was less than15 feet in the same tree. will I only had a box so I got a 3 foot ladder and cut the limb off and placed it in the box and waited 15 mins and taped it up and went back to work. I tried to get the director to let me keep them in his office but he said (heck) NO. so I put them in my shop and brought them home and put them in a five frame nuc till I can make them a new home this weekend.

The drought is broken. I have added 6 hives in 3 weeks.

john.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »
WOO HOO!!! X:X X:X
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
 :piano:   :piano:   :piano:
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »
I got home today to find the hive empty. said (darn). then I heard them they were in a small pine not 6 feet fromthe hive. I guest she did not like the hive. So I cut the limb and shuck them back in and closed it up and then the workers started fanning at the entrance and the rest came on in. Hope she stays because I don't care if the lady don't like the home it's just till this weekend.  :-x
I got to make a queen excluder for it before they fly further up. I have a old 10 frame excluder I think I will cut a section from it and tape to the front.  :evil:

john

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »
the Swarm left again.

this time I did not locate them. Darn.

I didn't get the qween includer put on in time. guest I learned something. will now down to 5 hives. but still time to split some of my hives to increase no.

john :'(