Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many supers?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
How many supers?
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:01:54 pm »
Some how I managed to put this in the wrong forum topic....

How many supers should I put on?  I started my hive about two weeks ago currently I have a medium super on top of the hive body.  Obviously this won't be enough.  What I had planned to do is use the body, the medium super and a shallow super for the bees.  I'd then put the excluder on, then above that, eventually work up to 3 shallows and 3 mediums.  I live on a farm and there are numerous other farms in the area so I don't think my ladies will have a hard time filling that up.  Any thoughts?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
How many supers?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:08:28 pm »
A little cut and paste action.

With a new colony, I wouldn't get in a big rush to add room yet. Especially if your adding it with foundation. Drawn comb is a valuable commodity. Get the brood box mostly drawn out, then add the next box. They have to control the temps in the hive, so too much room can be detrimental for a small colony. Sometimes things happen fast, (I'm adding a 3rd box to a couple packages started 6 weeks ago), but several colonys started at the same time have just begun to work the second box. You will probably find it beneficial to standardize your equipment as well. Sometimes you need to move things around, and with all different sizes of equipment, it doesn't work out too well.

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
How many supers?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:52:35 pm »
Yeah, my question is why all the different size boxes for brood?  Guess I've just never heard of that.  Plus, when it comes to manipulating frames, splitting hives, or just moving honey or brood frames, now you can only move to like-size boxes.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
How many supers?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:56:39 pm »
The majority of my boxes were inherited from my dad who gave up due to numerous bear attacks.  Every year his hives were attacked.  He gave me what he had, hence the various boxes.  The ones I am buying now are mediums.  I'll eventually get my hive more standardized when I add hives should I have more success than he did.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
How many supers?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 05:17:49 pm »
Install an electric fence.  

My bees are in far northern Wis., tons of black bear.  I had one hive knocked over about 2 weeks ago - I think we left one of the 'gates' to the fence open - but no damage was done to the boxes (see my post  marked "long".)  

Anyway, it wasn't a bear that did knocking over and if we'd had the fence fully closed whatever it was that got in wouldn't have.

I understand you not wanting to make a huge investment with new boxes right away, but I would definitely spend $100 and get a fence up if you think you're in an area prone to roaming bear.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
How many supers?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:04:09 pm »
Luckily for me I live further away from the woods than my dad does and we don't live anywhere near each other.  I just have farms nearby, that's why I am thinking my bees will do better than his.  I doubt he ever thought about an electric fence and if he did, zoning laws may have had something to do with it considering he's in a development...who knows.  Thanks for the tips though.  I'd appreciate if there's anything else.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
How many supers?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 01:04:26 pm »
Assuming a booming hive, not a struggling one, bursting at the seams, I'd put four or five on.  They need room to spread out the nectar to dry.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything