Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Dark Continent  (Read 2613 times)

Offline empilolo

• House Bee
The Dark Continent
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:13:37 pm »
Hello,

I live in Africa and would like to try bee-keeping locally. AHB's or killer bees. There certainly are wild living bees around for certain, but I have not heard any hair raising tales about attacks by bees - nor have I met a person who was bitten by a snake in over 25 years.

So I would like to risk it. Bees are not kept anywhere near where I live, so I expect some some difficulties getting started, that is to get hold of some bees.

Of course any help and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Experience level ? We do keep some Crocs.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
The Dark Continent
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:43:03 pm »
Welcome,

AHB being native to africa are kept extensively there.  EHB are prominate in South Africa.  The Kenya Top Bar Hive is gaining popularity here in the USA, more as a curiosity than a reality.

I would suggest to search data bases for South African Beekeeping practices and KTBH's to gain some knowledge of what's going on in your part of the world.

It is possible that the Langstroth hive and its variations are not available in your area.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

IndianaBrown

The Dark Continent
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:36:25 pm »
Welcome!

You may want to check out the link in this topic for information pertaining to beekeeping in Africa:
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=5323&highlight=africa+message+board

Offline empilolo

• House Bee
The Dark Continent
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:17:17 am »
This Forum is the best place about beekeeping I found on the web.

Brian D. Bray. I live in West Africa. Climatic conditions are similar to Florida, and very different from South Africa. EHB would not do well here and AHB would "genetically infiltrate" EHB stock in no time (from information I have now gathered).

KTBH's it will have to be, as sourcing equipment from abroad is difficult, especially small quantities for a trial run.

IndianaBrown. Thank you for the link. Again, West Africa (especially where I live, Rain Forest coastal area) and East Africa are two very different places. In fact, it would be easier to source equipment from the US rather than any African country.

I really appreciate your replies. I should have been more specific in describing local conditions. In fact, I found pictures posted by Apis629 about his KTBH most interesting. He, and other members from Southern US States, may probably have more useful information for me than keepers from other African countries.

Efforts to get some information at the local level have not been successful yet. All honey being sold locally comes from harvests in the wild, that is the bee killing method.

So, to start, I need bees. I plan to make a few NUC KTBH's and hang them into the forests. See whether any wild bees move in.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
The Dark Continent
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:48:28 pm »
If you can find lemongrass you can rub the inside of the hive with that to act as a lure.  You can also buy (here anyway) lemongrass essential oils which make a nice swarm lure.

I have top bar hives:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin