Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package Bees on Drawn Comb  (Read 13097 times)

Offline mat299

• New Bee
New Package Bees on Drawn Comb
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »
Ok, I will be installing some new packages in about two weeks or so.  All of the new packages will be installed on previously drawn comb.  My question is about feeding.  Are there any recommendations on how much I should feed the new packages since they are going in on drawn comb?  I figure that since they will not be using so much energy to build comb, that the feeding may be something less than if it were new foundation.  I know I have heard some say to feed until the bees stop taking the syrup and others that say i should feed them no more than one gallon per hive.  I am interested in hearing any opinions that anybody has on what I should do.  I am also interested in hearing if there are any ideas on how long before i release the queen in the new packages since I am not having to wait on the bees to build comb for her to lay in.  Should I release her any earlier than I would if it were new foundation?

Offline oblib

• House Bee
Re: New Package Bees on Drawn Comb
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
I'm with MB on this, I would feed until they cap some stores, then monitor to be sure they don't run out just like any other hive. If the packages have been in transit for 3 days or more then you can just direct release her, if they were just made up then 2-3 days is enough for them to be used to her.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
Can't remember where I saw it, so this advice may not be worth much...But I remember seeing somewhere, that seemed like a reputable source at the time that the new trend is to not be in a hurry to release the queen.  On packages they were advising to maybe wait a few days before even uncapping the candy plug.

That and 50ยข will get you a cup of coffee... :)

Good luck!

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »
Given that you are in GA I would assume your packages are probably being packaged the same day you are getting them. I generally do not think anybody should direct release queens but I am a package seller and receive dozens of calls every year from customers who need replacement queens because they direct released and she flew away.

As far as feeding: What is in bloom right now in your area? I would look into that before deciding to feed. 
Sugarbush Bees

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »
I'd give 4 or 5 days then expose the candy then go back in a week and make sure that she's free. If not release her and remove the cage.  As far as feeding, what can it hurt?
Later,
Ray

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:45 pm »
Ok, I will be installing some new packages in about two weeks or so.  All of the new packages will be installed on previously drawn comb.  My question is about feeding.  Are there any recommendations on how much I should feed the new packages since they are going in on drawn comb?  I figure that since they will not be using so much energy to build comb, that the feeding may be something less than if it were new foundation.  I know I have heard some say to feed until the bees stop taking the syrup and others that say i should feed them no more than one gallon per hive.  I am interested in hearing any opinions that anybody has on what I should do.  I am also interested in hearing if there are any ideas on how long before i release the queen in the new packages since I am not having to wait on the bees to build comb for her to lay in.  Should I release her any earlier than I would if it were new foundation?

Why are you and a hurry to release the queen ???
I'd give then3-4 days be for expose the candy (you can count the days in transit)  
As far as feeding, what can it hurt ???  
But maybe NOT feeding will kill the bees

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »
Im 2 weeks?   Feed them.   I would feed them until the honey flow is on.  At that point, they will slow up on the syrup.  And let the queen get released on her own unless she is still caged after a couple of days.  Then let her out. 

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
Allen, when does the flow normally start in our area.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:03 pm »
If you continuous feed, you will need to make sure they do not fill the brood nest with syrup leaving the queen no place to lay.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »
If you continuous feed, you will need to make sure they do not fill the brood nest with syrup leaving the queen no place to lay.

Ditto that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:24 pm »
 They are taking in a little now, but it is not stored long.   It all goes into brood.  After Easter they will start to store some honey.  They can fill a super or two the week the poplars are blooming.  Slows after that until nothing after mid July.  Depends if there is much sourwood there.  It blooms in July.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:34 am »
I might feed until they have some capped stores.  If there is a bloom going on, I might not feed them at all.  I would NOT feed them until they don't take anymore.  That usually results in them swarming when they aren't strong enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:57 am »
uncork the candy in the cage when you install the package.  follow m. bush on the feeding.  looking at the 10 day forecast for reynolds i expect things to be picking up in mid georgia within two weeks.  if we haven't had snow down here by the 15th we most likely are going into spring.  clover should be kicking in very soon because it's coming into full bloom in columbus/phenix city now.  i would think you guys in north georgia run 2 to 4 weeks behind us.  i know i have to feed two hives today that looked fine a week ago.  the next few weeks are crucial, no major flow is on but there is a lot of brood in all the hives (except the little carniolan cut out from the fall but they are kicking it up too.).  good luck!   

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:28 pm »
Ok, after several delays, i finally got my packages installed this week.  I need some advice on what to do next.  I installed the packages on Tuesday afternoon this week and have been feeding since then.  The queens are still in there cages.  It looks like the next several days are going to be kinda messy as far as the weather goes so i am wondering if i should go ahead and direct release the queens today or just expose the candy.  This afternoon may be the only day i can get in the hives until at least next week because they are forecasting rain.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:35 pm »
Ok, after several delays, i finally got my packages installed this week.  I need some advice on what to do next.  I installed the packages on Tuesday afternoon this week and have been feeding since then.  The queens are still in there cages.  It looks like the next several days are going to be kinda messy as far as the weather goes so i am wondering if i should go ahead and direct release the queens today or just expose the candy.  This afternoon may be the only day i can get in the hives until at least next week because they are forecasting rain.

Matt,
Did you remove the cork from the candy end? Is it facing up with the screen exposed between the space  between the frames? If so the bees will release her and all will be fine. If not, reset it up this way and they will take care of her.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
I would just expose the candy, maybe poke a hole in it, and let the bees release her. Try to swing by in a few days to make sure she's out. It's your call but I wouldn't want to uncork, let her climb out onto a frame, look at me and laugh as she flies away.

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 01:53:48 pm »
The queen cages are exposed between the frames but the cork is still in the candy end.  I guess I will just uncork and the cages so the bees can let her out hopefully in a day or two.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 11:25:17 pm »
When placing new queen in a hive, I would only leave the cork in it if I thought I might have a queen or laying workers in the hive and I want to see if they are accepting the new queen while keeping her protected. Then if they are feeding her and not swarming her in great numbers, I would let her out.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 08:50:59 am »
I took the corks out yesterday afternoon.  How long does it normally take for the them to eat through the candy and release the queen?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 08:59:57 am »
Just a couple days usually.