Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive protectors  (Read 3618 times)

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
hive protectors
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »
Well, I have had my hive in my back yard about 2 full months now. Up to this point the bees have been doing their thing while I'm out there digging or hoeing the yard.

This last week I have been assaulted on two different days. Two bees about 5 min apart one day and one bee today. One bee at a time. They go for my hair each time.

I know it's only one bee at a time because each time I have managed to kill her before she could sting me.

I was about 15 feet away from the hive each time. There is a 7 foot high fence between the hive and the yard. I was not doing anything noisy. I wasn't waving my arms around. I was putting potting soil in pots one time. This last time I was just standing in the yard looking around.

I know I'm in AHB country (So. Cal) but I also know these ladies aren't AHB's. During brood inspections they don't run on the frames and only defend about 5 feet from the hive (except on these two days).

I'm thinking I need to start wearing a full hair covering... in white when I'm in the yard.

Any ideas?

I just needed to rant a bit and figured this would be the place to do it.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: hive protectors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:12 pm »
You may be in their flight line. If they come in at a low level and have to rise to go over the fence. When they are leaving the hive and forging in that direction and maybe some low growing blooms nearby, up from the hive/over the fence/ down on your head. oops. :roll: ;) d2

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »
Do what you want but I had a colony like that in the back yard. Got stung while I wasn't bothering them. Spent $20 on a new queen. Now I can stand in front of the colonies until I go in them. I can understand the defencive action during inspections.
Later,
Ray

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »
Probably just giving you the usual warning bump, then getting tangled in your hair.
You don't have to be in the flight line, just close enough to make them nervous.

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:01:30 am »
You may be in their flight line. If they come in at a low level and have to rise to go over the fence. When they are leaving the hive and forging in that direction and maybe some low growing blooms nearby, up from the hive/over the fence/ down on your head. oops. :roll: ;) d2

It's possible but I doubt I was in their direct flight line. I'm between house and hive each time, so they have to fly over the 7 foot fence then over the 28 foot house. LOL Not much in the yard to pollinate right now either. Just harvested my 200 square feet of wheat (gopher left me about 60 square feet).

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:04:27 am »
Do what you want but I had a colony like that in the back yard. Got stung while I wasn't bothering them. Spent $20 on a new queen. Now I can stand in front of the colonies until I go in them. I can understand the defencive action during inspections.

I'd consider that if I had the $20. Been unemployed so long it really sucks!

Probably just giving you the usual warning bump, then getting tangled in your hair.
You don't have to be in the flight line, just close enough to make them nervous.

That's possible too. I'd think fifteen feet from they hive they wouldn't get too nervous. Live and learn I guess.

Still think I'm gonna make myself a white beanie or something similar. And when I get a job I'll try requeening.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:13:37 am »
When was the last time you were in that hive?
Last weekend, I was in one hive that was missing a frame. I pulled out a new undrawn medium frame and tried to install it. It would not go down far enough. I pushed it down and heard some crunching. The bees boiled out and nailed both hands and chased me away from the hive. I had to rubbed my hands in the grass to get rid of the banana odor because every time i tried to reach in the hive, they attacked my hands. I looked at the super and realized it was the only shallow left in my apiary and removed the frame. Later I was cutting the grass in front of the apiary. On the third pass they attacked my head. This is unusual for my bees but it was the same hive that I had crushed a bunch of them under the frame. I let them settle down for a while and started cutting about 50 feet from the hive and they were in my hair again. Every time I tried to cut that field, 3 or 4 would attack. I ended up putting my suit on to finish the job. I have found that my bees treat me like I treat them. If I am gentle, they are gentle, if I am rough, they are rough. It may take 3 weeks for that hive to settle down. The flying bees will have died off by then.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:28 am »
I pushed it down and heard some crunching. The bees boiled out and nailed both hands and chased me away from the hive. I have found that my bees treat me like I treat them. If I am gentle, they are gentle, if I am rough, they are rough. It may take 3 weeks for that hive to settle down. The flying bees will have died off by then.
Jim

LOL, been there done that. My grand daughter payed the price last weekend. :-D Jim did bring up a good point. I always mash a couple I think I hurry to much. They remember for a while, mine only about a day ot two.
Later,
Ray

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:26:05 am »
I don't know if it's the quality of the breeding, or the fact that they've only been in there 3 weeks, but so far my package girls have been very nice to me--I can stand within a few feet of the entrance and not have them bother me in the least. I suppose this may change once they get a little more used to their new home.....

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 05:36:02 am »
When was the last time you were in that hive?
Last weekend, I was in one hive that was missing a frame. I pulled out a new undrawn medium frame and tried to install it. It would not go down far enough. I pushed it down and heard some crunching. The bees boiled out and nailed both hands and chased me away from the hive. I had to rubbed my hands in the grass to get rid of the banana odor because every time i tried to reach in the hive, they attacked my hands. I looked at the super and realized it was the only shallow left in my apiary and removed the frame. Later I was cutting the grass in front of the apiary. On the third pass they attacked my head. This is unusual for my bees but it was the same hive that I had crushed a bunch of them under the frame. I let them settle down for a while and started cutting about 50 feet from the hive and they were in my hair again. Every time I tried to cut that field, 3 or 4 would attack. I ended up putting my suit on to finish the job. I have found that my bees treat me like I treat them. If I am gentle, they are gentle, if I am rough, they are rough. It may take 3 weeks for that hive to settle down. The flying bees will have died off by then.
Jim

I was in the brood on Saturday but was very gentle and didn't roll any of them. Don't think I squished any either. Loved to see that they were festooning in the new frames I put in a while back though.
Crunching frames is one reason I'm using all mediums.
3 weeks! yikes!

I don't know if it's the quality of the breeding, or the fact that they've only been in there 3 weeks, but so far my package girls have been very nice to me--I can stand within a few feet of the entrance and not have them bother me in the least. I suppose this may change once they get a little more used to their new home.....

Yeah, I can still stand about 5 feet away inside the fenced area and they just fly over my head. No problems until I'm in the yard putting soil in pots for seeds. Weird.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:11:56 am »
What is the weather like where you are? Hot? Were you sweaty?

My bees come visiting all the time when I am working in the yard to drink the sweat off my head and arms. Never sting. It might just be that they got caught in your hair and aren't 'attacking' you at all.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »
I know it's only one bee at a time because each time I have managed to kill her before she could sting me.
You could have been killing curious bees.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:47 pm »
You could have been killing curious bees.

ST, once they're in your hair it's a done deal. Get her out or you're stung. They burrow to the scalp. I keep a close hair cut. :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Rob Sandberg

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
Who knows? I have 3 colonies that I work with nothing on,walk up and start working. I have a colony I caught from a swarm in October that is pissy with me , my wife and my dogs. I wear a full veil and gloves with these girls,I am putting up with them as their numbers and honey are booming. Good luck with your bees.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 12:24:01 am »
Don't know if this is along the lines of what you're experiencing, but if I pull up to a yard and have bees start pinging me right off the bat I know that I've got a queenless hive in the mix. Might be worth a check.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 06:20:18 am »
Don't know if this is along the lines of what you're experiencing, but if I pull up to a yard and have bees start pinging me right off the bat I know that I've got a queenless hive in the mix. Might be worth a check.

Scott

That is really nice to know. Thanks Scott.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything