Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first cutout help  (Read 2493 times)

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
first cutout help
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »
someone nearby has an open air bee hive attached to an airconditioner.

Asked if I could remove it.  I am willing and I think able.  I haven't seen the colony yet

I don't have a bee vaccum.

If I just cut the comb and put in frames in a hive will that be enough, or do I really need to vaccum the bees into a hive as well?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: first cutout help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »
A bee vac in not really a necessity (how did beeks of old do it before vacs). I call my bee vac crowd control, just gets the masses out of the way. Without the vac you will need to work just a little slower, smoke will move bees very well as will a little shake of the comb.

Yes you can just cut the combs off and rubber band into frames, be sure to keep the comb oriented in the up direction.

This late in the year you will need to feed, feed, feed!

Check them in a week to see if there are any eggs (if you can not locate the queen when you do the cut out), if not consider doing a combine with a weaker hive and then split them in the spring.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
Glad it wasn't far.  :oops: To be fair, when I called the guy back after we got the message, he said that he wasn't sure that it was honey bees.  When I asked him if it was waxy type of "honey comb" he said it was gray . . . so my immediate thought was wasps.

But my wife and I biked over anyway just to make sure.

It was a beautiful nest though . . . I think bald-faced hornets (a bit too dark to see them well and I didn't want to get to close because it was not easy to run away from the site as it was on an overgrown slope.

Oh well, thanks for the reply anyway.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »
i ask people to email me pictures of what they are seeing.  at this time of the year it's almost always either wasps or yellowjackets.  did get caught by surprise by one.  the bees were actually building comb in the tree.  that's not to common up here. 
anyway....something to try with future calls if you want.  saves the unnecessary trips.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »
Cool nest though!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »
We were bicycling out to that area anyway, so it wasn't a wasted trip.  Figured if it was honey bees we could then come back later with equipment.

When the guy told me over the phone that the hive was gray I was pretty certain it wasn't honey bees.

Nothing lost, something gained (saw a very cool nest).

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:53 pm »
I had a call on one like that this past week in a palm tree, wasn't quite as pretty as that one though.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:11:21 am »
I have gotten so many calls like that.  I have decided not to do any more removals.  When I have asked people to email me pictures, they get nasty and say things like "I know the difference between bees and wasps...", but they don't.  Plus they're usually 30 feet up in an unaccessable area.  It just isn't worth using up what little free time I have.  I'll stick to catching swarms and splitting my existing hives to increase my numbers.  It's safer and far less stress on me, as well as the bees.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:28 pm »
So did you get those "bees"?

anything