Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Now I Have A 'Coon Problem  (Read 15966 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Now I Have a 'Coon Problem
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2009, 11:52:07 pm »
They sound like an episode of the Simpsons....Maybe we will see you on Monster Quest! :evil:  OOh My, those boars might get "too friendly",  bringing you flowers & animal parts....." :shock: Not good for you!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:37 am »
I just counted 19 'coons at once messing around my bee yard next to my house. I have some trees that they can climb up, but I put a maze of electric fence around the hives today. Those 'coons must be slow learners, as they will touch the fence, get shocked, stand up and growl at it, then do it again and again....they are repeat offenders for sure.

You know, if I make a 'coon skin hat, etc. and actually put it on....someone would shoot me as they would think that I was BIGFOOT with all that hair!
On the other hand, the big boar 'coons would think I was one big, bad sow!
Might keep them out of the bee yard next year!

Brenda

I don't know about that one. If one of those boar coons took a liking to you you might really have a coon problem ;)

Keith

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »
That population really needs thinning back. Either have the State animal control folks trap some of them out or get JP and KathyP to come over and practice their archery. A good stout 22 cal pellet rifle would work if inside an incorporated city limits, other wise a 22 or shotgun might be called for. Shotgun would be better for it's lack of range. The noise might disturb the neighbors, but with if they had though of you as much .....Well lets just say that I .personally. would not worry if it disturbed those neighbors that seemed to be getting so much entertainment from seeing my property destroyed.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2009, 02:18:55 pm »
Rebel Rose,

It would be a pain to deal with but screwing down the lids, attaching mouse guards or half inch hardware cloth with screws to cover the entrances and stapling the hive boxes together until the raccoons give up trying and their population density returns to normal might be one of the cheapest and most effective options in your extreme situation.

Of course if you are a good shot with a rifle....

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2009, 07:07:58 pm »
I think that I will get some wood screws and take my DeWalt drill out there to makes things go faster.

Then start plinking them off this fall after the furs are prime.....I hope the fur prices are good...I want to make back some of the money that I lost.

At this point in time, I do not care what my neighbor's think if they hear gunshots! I was here first! This is also the same neighbor that had the trees fall onto my hives in the tornado.....he had to leave when I starte talking to him about his trees falling on my property!

Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:30 pm »
hook the tractor to the tree and drag  the thing over to his front porch.  send him a bill for the hives.  his trees.  his responsibility.  most of the time i wouldn't get nasty about trees.  they fall under the SH rule for me.  one time i had a neighbors oak go down on my fences.  he went out and cleaned up the mess on his property, cut the tree, took the wood, and left the rest of it hanging on my fence and in my arena.  i returned his tree to him.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »
kathyp,

This guy is having a bright blue metal roof put onto his 100 year old plus farm home. The yard is full of nails and roofing that the roofers tore off and let fall where it may. I also found out that he is going to put matching bright blue siding on the house to match the roof! I would probably do more damage to the tires than I would be at getting the point across to him.

I get hacked on all of the time now, as I live next to the SMURF HOUSE!

This feller drives a truck over the road in only home (as a rule) on the weekends....you never see him in the daylight....it was just chance that I caught them outside and he told me about the 'coons. They are leaving tonight in the truck.

I guess that I need to post some pics of this house sometime...to lighten up things a bit.

Brenda

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:43 pm »
I would guess that it is a good thing that it is "Smurf" blue - as opposed to UN blue. Otherwise the whole thread could get moved to the Coffee House or farther.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »
I would guess that it is a good thing that it is "Smurf" blue - as opposed to UN blue. Otherwise the whole thread could get moved to the Coffee House or farther.

Don't even think such thoughts.....a friend on mine took pics of UN vehicles on the back of a flatbed going down the Interstate.

The 'coon problems are bad enough and so are the jerks from PETA, etc. It seems like our honey factories attract everything we do not need!

Brenda

anything