Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants in my hives  (Read 3600 times)

Offline daniel-delarosa

• New Bee
Ants in my hives
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:35 pm »
First off, Im totally new to bee keeping. 
I took the top off of one of my supers to check it out.  There were big ants on top of the inner cover. I smashed all of them and put it back.  I was worried about my other hive so I checked it too.  No ants on the inner cover, but there were some in the bottom.  My bases have two screened drawers.  The bottom drawers had a bunch of little bitty ants all over it.  Can you spray around your hives for ants and not hurt your bees?

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Re: Ants in my hives
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:24:30 pm »
I had a similar problem recently.  Someone, on here, suggested that I use ground cinnamon.  I scattered some around the areas were the ants were getting in.  It worked well.

I had ants and eggs almost covering an inner cover.  Now there are none.   
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:45:38 pm »
    The only thing I don't like about cinnamon is it washes away in rain and the ants can find ways around it on the ground (via weeds, debris,...).  I do use FGMO and smear it around the base of the hives, outside and under (screened bottom boards) and this does pretty good at keeping them at bay.  If we get a severely heavy downpour I need to reapply, but otherwise it stays awhile.  I like them both and use both.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline rick42_98

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »
Here is a neat trick I tried and it seemed to work.  My hive is on cinder blocks so I spread a 2 inch wide ring of Vaseline completely around the cinder blocks.  The ants couldn't cross the vaseline barrier and I didn't have to use any hard chemicals which would affect the bees.  After a few rain storms I had to replenish the vaseline but that took about 3 minutes.  It might work for you too.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »
That sounds like a great trick with the vasoline Rick, I'll have to try that! I usually just circle each hive with D.E. (diotomacious earth) available at any pool supply place...it's used in pool filters. There is a much better grade of "agricultural D.E." but it's harder to find. D.E. is simply the skeletons of diatoms (where we get glass from), it's completely harmless to you (but don't breath the dust) but it cuts the ant/bug and causes them to bleed to death. Takes a few days to work but just re-apply every so often and you won't believe the results. I use it in the garden, around the house for roaches and silverfish etc.
Good luck with the ants!
Peace be yours,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:37:30 am »
The food grade DE is available online sometims as codex grade and permaguard. A search will turn up alot of places but I use Shadow Ridge to purchase mine.
I use it in the chicken coops to control flies but I have never used it near the hives, not sure how close you can get to the hives with that stuff and not harm the bees.

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:28:30 pm »
I built a stand and use cinder blocks as a moat and the vaseline trick too. I started out using roofing cement but, vaseline is more effective. The ants are ruthless here in Florida and I have not seen but 2 or 3 and I think they came with the hive I removed. This stand is also quite sturdy.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=486679905&albumID=611341&imageID=6751140

Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

anything