Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms and brood frame?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
swarms and brood frame?
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »
Yesterday our heavily overcrowded observation hive absconded to a nearby tree. This AM after severl tries I got the bulk of them into a deep with some empty frames and a partial framew of honey I had sitting around.
When the hive absconded yesterday I placed the 2 remaining brood combs into another hive in hopes of keeping them alive (it was a few hours after the swarm left).
The boxed swarm seem to be taking to thier new home4 hours and have notr left yet, look slike they are orienting to it.

I would like to add 1 or 2 of those brood combs back to this box. Should I do it right away to help hold them, or should I leave them in peace a few days and then bring it over?
I know brood comb will help anchor the swarm, but I don't want to disturb them and "rock the boat" if they are settling in.

any thoughts on the merits of leaving them in peace vs a quick open and addition of comb?
thanks

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: swarms and brood frame?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:45 pm »
If the other hive has enough bees to keep those 2 frames of brood warm and alive, then I would probably leave everything as you have it.  That is unless your swarm box is missing frames.  Swarms can build comb in a matter of days and if you’ve left frames out, that is probably where they’ll start building first!  That eventually results in a big mess and waste of the bees energy when you have to go in and start cutting out comb between frames. 

If they’re orientating, they’re probably staying even without a frame of brood.

Offline windfall

• House Bee
Re: swarms and brood frame?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »
Thanks for the quick thoughts bluebee.

I think the other hive can handle the 2 frames...it's a nuc (one of the foam jobs) that was just starting to get crowded so I supered it. they were only about 50% open brood, the rest capped or stores. I probably should have stuck them on a stronger hive but those were harder to make space in in a hurry.
I sort of assumed the orienting meant they were settling in, unfortunately the box will have to get moved in the near future, right now it is outside the bear fence. Its a 10 frame box and I have 5 empty foundationless and 1 half drawn honey, but I did drop in the follower to close off the rest.

I am inclined to agree with you to just leave them alone for a spell. I have a record for messing things up by tampering and tweaking too much. At the same time I want to keep that queen laying and the hive building if I am going to try and winter them on their own...I guess a few days shouldn't matter.