Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coyote  (Read 17365 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Coyote
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:49:22 pm »
I finally saw him/her today. Took a pot shot with AR-15 to scare him off. Perhaps I should have been serious. If he comes back I will be.

I guess that is what has gotten a few chickens.   :idunno:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Coyote
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »
they tend to have a route.  if you can identify it, you'll have a better chance of killing it.  they also have schedules.  i had one that showed up in the pasture at 3pm every day for a long time.

at this time of the year seems they are feeding babies and they go for easy bulk stuff.  a chicken yard is perfect!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:26:25 pm »
it will be back, done found a buffet
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
I saw one a couple of years ago in the early morning hours when I was walking my dogs - in the city of Atlanta.  It watched me and the dogs for long enough for me to know for sure it was a coyote and then leaped into the woods.  I couldn't believe it!  I was so excited!  I called the Georgia Dept of Natural Resources to report it.  Here's how the conversation went:

Me:  "Hi, This is Dr. Linda Tillman.  I want to report a coyote sighting."  (I rarely acknowledge my degree unless I want a little umph!)
GDNR guy:  "Yes, Maaaaam." in a very bored voice
Me:  "I saw a coyote inside the perimeter of Atlanta - a coyote!" in an excited voice.
Him:  Yeah. 
Me:  "Don't you want to know where it was and all of that?"
Him:  "Ma'am, They're everywhere."

I was so deflated.....

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:53 pm »
I was in San Luis Obispo California for awhile. Deer would be out in the yard most mornings and there were reports of dogs and cats and maybe even a child carried off by Coyotes. If the pickings are slim they will venture into town and take what ever is available.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:14 pm »
I have trapped, snared and shot hundreds in 4 states over a 30 year period and can tell you when the end of the world comes the last two remaining creatures will be coyotes and roaches.  They adapt!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 06:22:32 pm »
we have a few of them around and the 22-250 does a good job on them. they are smart as the dickens but are such oppertunist that they get dumb sometimes and mistakes are costly.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »
I have lost a few more chickens and started building a trap yesterday. Then just a little bit ago, as I was walking through the kitchen and working out the trip mechanism for the trap in my head, I glanced out the window and there he was coming down the neighbor's fence line. He stopped and was watching us watching him through the window. I started to wait till he was closer and then go scare him off and my wife said, "Go get your gun."

So I get it and as he was watching her and the son-in-law through the window, he couldn't see me go out the back door and sneak around to the edge of the storage shed. Not real sure if he saw me as I got a bead on him bracing myself against the building, but he took a couple of steps. Looking through the scope to see what was behind the coyote, I was remembering this thing hasn't been sighted in for over ten years, and one can't just start lobbing bullets all over the place. There's houses and cars, and donkeys and horses and other junk scattered within range.

Hummm. Sights or scope? He was about 100 yards away. OK scope. Where should I place the cross hairs? He was standing with his right side to me and looking towards me... or the house... So I decided to go for the area of the lungs and heart. Keep in mind I really don't want to shoot the guy, just wished he'd stay away. But I can't keep feeding him. And I would really hate to just injure him and he goes off and suffers someplace dying an agonizing death. (See I am not a vengeful person.)

OK. Deep breath, let it out, squeeze the trigger. Good thing he ain't moving. You do know an AR-15 makes a loud noise don't you? So BANG. Recoil, blink maybe, mules down range kicking and jumping gosh they weren't there a second ago, hope I didn't hit one. But....

Where did he go?

So I came into the house. "Which way did he go?" I asked the wife.

"Didn't you see it? He just dropped." She said. "I heard the pop and he was down."

So I go looking. Yep, there he was. Couldn't have asked for a better shot. Neck bone. Instant kill.

So now do I finish the coyote trap?  :-\

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »
YES we had a pack of four that got a calf only got one of them so we set some traps got the rest that night. If there is one there is more to come. By the way good shot :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:45:29 pm »
Good going!!!    Get that gun sighted in.  A hit in the neck when aiming at the lungs is a near miss.   Oppertunites like that dont come often and cant be passed up.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »
finish the trap.  last night i had the windows open and heard barking outside. it set my dogs off and they were barking back and forth.  before i could get out of bed and see whos dog was loose, the barking changed to coyote yipping.  the thing was circling the house trying to get my dogs out to "play".  i have no doubt that the whole pack was close by waiting for the chance to kill them.

where there is one, there are more!!

good shot.  you must have been practicing  :evil: .
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:53:56 pm »
That was the third shot I have fired in about ten years. And all of those have been at the coyote.

I get lucky every now and then.  :-D

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 01:09:27 pm »
Get that gun sighted in.  a hit in the neck when aiming at the lungs is a near miss.   

Some of that might be... er... is.... me. I can't quit anticipating the shot. And the trigger on this rifle is a wee bit hard to pull. So as I am trying to get a smooth squeeze the anticipation kicks in right about the time the hammer is finally released. And I usually go up and to the right a little.

But I have  placed 20 rounds in a six inch pattern at 350 yards.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »
the stock triggers on AR 15 have to be the worst.  Everything that a bad trigger can have is present on these.   They stick, creep and are very sloppy.  I put a JP adjustable on my bushmaster.  It is very nice and easy to install.  Heres a link
  http://www.del-ton.com/JP_Ar_15_Trigger_p/lp1010.htm

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 03:56:34 pm »
                  $126

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »
$126??  have you priced the AR 15 recently.  up around 900 dollars last i check with my horse shoer.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 05:55:29 pm »
$900 is cheap. Better snatch that sucker up. I was just debating if that price was worth the extra accuracy. Or would it be cheaper to practice more patience?

Got to remember, I was raised poor. It is hard to get out of the habit of thinking of every dollar. My daughter drives me nuts sometimes. They might spend $75 on fireworks this year. I know it ain't much, but it makes me want to pull my hair out. And it is already pretty thin.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »
i know.  i watch my kids spend money and wondered if i had taught them nothing?  oh well, they will be lucky or learn the hard way.  moms purse only opens to pay for lawyers and that only for the sake of the grandkids  :-D

i don't mind spending money on guns, but since i don't shoot as much as i used to, it's hard to justify a spendy one.  one that will do the job is good enough...with a good laser on it :-)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee