Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maple Syrup prices  (Read 18651 times)

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
Re: Maple Syrup prices
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:28 am »
they don't get the proper weather conditions to make syrup. it's pretty much confined to the northern us ( from minnesota eastward ) and southeastern canada, although there are some people in the appalachians that are able to make syrup also.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:17 am »
You can tap birch also but yields less than sugar maples.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:49 am »
You can tap birch also but yields less than sugar maples.
We have a local guy who taps and makes syrup from shagbark hickory trees. He also makes syrup from poplar trees.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »
i had heard you could make syrup from birch and shagbark hickory and black walnut and even sycamore, but i hadn't ever heard poplar mentioned until now. i can't wait until feb. four weeks of pure chaos in the woods and soon after that it will be time for bees again.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »
i bought a gallon of maple syrup a couple months ago for 50 bucks,  it was so runny like water.  I assume it was not boiled enough.  I guess i got ripped off.  Ive had much thicker and taster syrup,  BEWARE is all I can say

I sell a gallon of honey for 65.00.  Noone has complained yet
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
i bought a gallon of maple syrup a couple months ago for 50 bucks,  it was so runny like water.  I assume it was not boiled enough.  I guess i got ripped off.  Ive had much thicker and taster syrup,  BEWARE is all I can say

I sell a gallon of honey for 65.00.  Noone has complained yet

not necessarily true. maple syrup will vary in thickness and color depending upon the sugar content of the raw sap. most people think it is to watery because they are used to thicker "pancake syrup". maple syrup is required by law to be boiled until it reaches a minimum of 66 brix. the higher the percentage of sugar in the raw sap means less water needing to be boiled off, which means less carmelization of the syrup and the end result is a thinner, lighter colored syrup. a lower concentration of sugar in the raw sap requires more evaporation to concentrate the sugar, causing more carmelization and a darker thicker syrup.

Offline CrossAcres

• Brood
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 07:35:06 am »
And yes the sap is nearly clear, to a slight brown tint, if it freezes and you can remove the ice.

When I was young, my father used to let the sap sit overnight and remove the ice before we started to boildown the sap. The ice was a sweet treat for the long day ahead.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »
In 54 years I have never had a winter this mild.  Just wondering how this will effect the sap flows?   My gardens all think its spring. 

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »
this weather is crazy, i wanted to tap this weekend but couldn't and now the weather is dropping to single digits next weekend so it looks like i won't be tapping for a while yet. i probably lost almost a full weeks worth of sap.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:15 am »
Any of you sugarer folks end up with syrup to sell?  Or know where I can get good syrup shipped from?

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »

syrup you buy from the local sugar shack will be a lot thinner. My uncle and now my cousins make it in NY. the stuff they reject gets sold to the syrup manufacturer's to make your store bought pancake syrup