Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits and all that stuff  (Read 7236 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Splits and all that stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:36 am »
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/nucformation.gif    ;) 8-)                                                                                                                                                                           The main point of circle splits is making splits without having to move them to seperate locations                                 A way to eliminate or utilize the drifting that normally occurs. Since the old hive isn't there to go back to and the hives they can go to are equidistant from the original, they will (hopefully) equalize.
_____    Cindi hope you understand  8-) if not we can go through it agian RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:10:50 am »
RDY-B.  Now, as I have said before, sleep does wonders for the mind and clarity.  I was re-reading the post(s) of yours.  It all makes very good sense now.  I like the idea of the circle splits and I have one colony that I think that I will give this a whirl with this year.  As I have said, this is now my year for experimentation with ideas that make sense to me -- and this one does.  This colony that I have in mind is the stronger of two that are gangbusters.  These two colonies have always been very strong, the others strong too, but not as such as these two.

I do not have any nuc boxes.  But what I have done when I have made a split before was to close up 1/3 of a deep with a thick styrofoam insert.  This reduces the size of the deep to that of a nuc, this allows me to move the styrofoam over as the number of bees increase, and to add a frame, when needed, eventually removing the styrofoam completely.  This works well, I have tried this one other time and it saves to eventually having to transfer the bees to a deep later.  Thanks for taking the time to explain more deeply to me what you were talking about.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 03:06:47 am »

I understand that if I do a split that I have to move the new hive at least 5 miles away for a month ??

Where did you get that from?

Me and the state inspecter make splits with his hives and most of them are not even a foot away!  You don't need to move a hive to make a split!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:51:58 am »
>You don't need to move a hive to make a split!

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#accountfordrift

I just shake extra bees in and assume half will return to the old hive or in an even split face them both to the old location and split them so that when they return to the old location there is nothing there but there is a hive just on each side.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 11:40:09 am »
The person I bought my bees from told me that if I split I would have to move them 5 miles away for one month.  So, I am very happy to see, that this is not necessary after all.  Some people can make every aspect of beekeeping daunting!  Thanks to all you wise folk here, I almost "get it"..
 :-*

anything