Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB prevention  (Read 6194 times)

Offline DryCreekGeezer

• New Bee
  • Don't worry, BEE happy.
SHB prevention
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »
Has anyone had any experience putting lime / limestone on the ground around the hive for a foot or two as a desiccating deterrent against SHB?  I was told the SHB pupates underground, and that crawling across lime would work much the same as boric acid crystals to scratch / cut the shells of the bugs to let their vitals leak / dry out.
Dry Creek Honey

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: SHB prevention
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
I have heard of people trying DE, but I don't think it works all that well.   Oil trays work well in killing the young. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »
AllenF......

What do you do about the adult SHB flying in to the hive for the 1st time.

BEE HAPPY Jim  134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »
Letting see my thumb up close works when I can find them.  They can fall through the screen into the oil tray and you can use oil traps in the frames.   I did not do a thing this year other than the thumb smashing to kill them this year.   I saw no difference this year by doing nothing. 

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
DE Works well as long as the is no dee or moisture. Success from what I have read is where the application is often.

Chris in nj

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »
 :idunno:

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »
Putting lime around the hive helps. But it has to be the kind of lime that people used in outdoor toliets. I can not recall the name right now. Senior moment. Lime like is used on gardens is not the right kind. I also use the lime in the trays under the sbb.
 BTW   You have to respread it after a rain.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »
DE Works well as long as the is no dee or moisture. Success from what I have read is where the application is often.

Chris in nj
DE works well if used in a Beetle trap rather then a tray. In the Beetel trap the DE stays dry - works well.

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:29 am »
I put SHB larva in jar of DE, they didn't seem to mind much.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »
AllenF......

What do you do about the adult SHB flying in to the hive for the 1st time.

I use oil pans under all of my hives now. The beetles prefer the hives for breeding and most of the adult beetles end up in the pans. The ones that don't, lay their eggs and their larva end up in the pans. No new beetles to return to the hive. The first 2 years with just a few hives, I killed thousands of beetles in every hive every month. Last year with 13 hives, I had very few beetles in the hives. I'm hoping I have seriously interupted their reproduction cycle by stopping the larvae from getting out of the hive as well as killing the adults.

BEE HAPPY Jim  134 :)
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »
I chase them around the top covers with a hive tool.  Love smashing those buggers.  Otherwise the bees keep them at bay.   They are just a fact of life around here
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »
I'm looking into Heterorhabditis indica for soil treatment around the apiary. I know there are lots of opinions but mostly I'd like advice on timing. I'm in north Georgia. Might be too early now.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

anything