Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tiny black droppings on mite board...What am I looking for inside?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Hi all...I tried the search to no avail...I suppose there are many words for 'droppings'... :-D   I slid the mite board under one of my hives a couple days ago when I was giving the girls some powdered sugar.  (I figured it would help keep the ants down for any sugar that fell all the way through...who knows).  Anyways, I pulled the board out today, and found a cluster of tiny black turds (I think?) clustered about the size of a silver dollar.  I inspected this hive just a few days ago, and didn't notice anything other than some SHB.  I know approximately which frame would be the suspect frame, but what am I looking for??  Wax Moth larvae?  I didn't notice any, but maybe I just missed it...??  Any other ideas for the culprit leaving these droppings?  Or could it be something small laying eggs on the slide in board??  Again, it's all in a cluster, they are tiny, and I am puzzled.   Thanks everyone in advance!  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:26:35 am by Bees In Miami »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Tiny black droppings on mite board...What am I looking for inside?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:01 am »
It could be frass from wax moths.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »
Sounds like could be wax moths its hard to see the larva at first they are small and in between the comb. Did you see any webbing like spider webs in a cell? If so the eggs or larva is under that.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:12:55 am »
Thanks for the replies...I too, was suspecting Wax Moth.  I did not see anything unusual on the inspection just 3 days prior to my find.  No webs, nothing...  Unfortunately I have business to tend to that will not allow time for a reinspect until at least Monday (unless I pay a beek in the area to make a trip for me).  I hope the girls can fend whatever off until then!  I HATE not being able to get to my hives.   :(  Thanks again for the input!!  If it IS Wax Moth...How quickly can they take over?  It is my weakest hive, with as of last week, 5 full stong frames of brood, capped brood, and honey, and 5 frames they are partially working.  Think they are ok for another 5 days?  Thanks again! 

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:39 am »
Sounds like you have a screen bottom board. They are probably below the screen.  Is the insert you used made of coroplast?  If so check the holes in the sides for your waxworms..
I haven't had moths take out a strong hive yet but I guess they could overcome a weak one.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:00 am »
Lesser wax moths are small and tend to stay in the mid rib.  You have to look hard to find them sometimes.  Bees struggling to emerge are sometimes a symptom of lesser wax moths.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#waxmoths
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:47:26 am »
mouse
to bee or not to bee

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »
Mouse droppings are kind of long and rounded on the ends.  Wax moth feces is more like someone took a tube and made square cuts on it to make the pieces... so I guess it depends on what they look like...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline markwell

• New Bee
    • Beekeeping starter kit
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:20 am »
To be honest, mouse droppings are quite easy to spot comparing to insect droppings