Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I`VE gotten 4 swarms already im thinking they are not my bees  (Read 1225 times)

Offline classeroadbees

• New Bee
I hived 4 swarms will ferol hives come to my bee yard or is it my home hives swarming when i see a swarm in my trees
i check my hives they are full of bees are these my home bees or feral bees any help will be great thanks classeoadbees

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: I`VE gotten 4 swarms already im thinking they are not my bees
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »
unless you got feral hives close by i bet they are comming out of your hives. i have seen hives swarm and you couldnt tell they swarmed by looking at the numbers but remember it takes 2 to 3 weeks for a new queen to start laying that is when the hive will look weak. if you only have a few hives and you notice a swarm look between the to brood boxes and see if you see swarm cells
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:35 pm »
mark your queens then you will know if its yours or not.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »
good idea and could work but not all the time. The bees have a habit of grooming off the markings and if the swarm issues with  a virgin queen she wont be marked. i did have a bee call the other day at boeing on the side of a hanger that had a queen marked with a yellow dot swarm was no bigger than a soft ball
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

anything