Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding in Winter  (Read 3303 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
Feeding in Winter
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »
 Hi all. I Know there are countless topics regarding feeding but have yet to stumble across the info that I'm after.

I'm based in the UK and we've had another terrible summer. Many hives were starving in August/September and mine have been no different.

Due to a lack of time and poor management (and the fact it's my first real year bee keeping) I have two small hives that are short on food. I have been feeding them syrup but they don't have enough to last the winter and the general advice here is to stop feeding syrup now due to the cold conditions ( we had a frost last night) because the bees won't have time to ripen the syrup into stores.

Is there anything that can be fed over winter to allow the bees to feed?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Rob.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Feeding in Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:29 pm »
You can feed sugar syrup during times the temps are above 50 F as along as the syrup is served warm.  A quart (1 liter) jar can be consumed in a day if the bees need it.  Another passive method is to use fondunt patties placed over the cluster on top of the frames.
And in the case of emergency feeding straight granulated sugar on a sheet of paper place over the cluster works also.  Just make sure there is at least a 1 inch set back from the edges of the hive so the bees can access the feed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:47 pm »
Fondant works great, because it absorbs the moisture given off by the cluster, rendering it more easy for them to consume. It also insulates the top, if you have a big/thick enough slab.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:45:49 pm »
And the recipe for fondant is? :?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:24 am »
The recipe for fondant is pretty easy to make.  I haven't done it myself, but I recall Robo makes it for his colonies, don't know why this one sticks out in my mind, hee, hee.   Maybe give him a PM.  Have a most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »
>Is there anything that can be fed over winter to allow the bees to feed?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar

They can eat dry sugar all winter and you don't even have to make it into candy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »
 Hi all.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll have a bash at the sugar this year and see how the boys and girls get on.

Fitted my mouse guards today after getting stung twice. Still it was my own fault for not wearing my gloves with my suit. Thought the girls were fairly calm the last few days but not tonight!

Best wishes, Rob.

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:45:35 pm »
 Well picked up some fondant from my local bakers' and the girls have been taking it well so far.

Had one hive on the weekend working really well foraging and the the other was clustered up in theirs not moving at all. Hasn't really been that cold here in Britainn yet (save a few light frosts) bu tglad to see the smaller of the two collecting food for the winter.

Hope you all have some success over the cooler months ahead (if indeed they are due to be in your current Country)!

Rob.