Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: favorite shows of the season.  (Read 11414 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
favorite shows of the season.
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:24 am »
some are old.  some are new.  some just discovered.

i have recently discovered The Closer.  am going back to catch the old episodes.  very good show.
love Rizoli and Isles.  great cast and great story lines.
Alphas has caught my attention this year.  i have enjoyed it because it's different, has great cast, and looks like it's going to develop well.

Hawaii Five-0 was a surprise hit with me.  didn't think they could do the show and do it well.  actually think it's better than the original.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: favorite shows of the season.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:19 pm »
I am waiting for Terra Nova to start up on Monday.   I like it that we have some new scifi on the tube but this one may be a bit like Avatar.  What is everybodies thoughts?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »
I don’t watch much TV except for some Sci Fi and some football, but I did catch an episode of Hawaii Five 0 last year.  I also thought it was pretty good, but I just saw the one episode.  I thought they did a good job with the new cast, except for McGarrett.  For me, the new guy just can’t fill Jack Lord’s shoes.  Without a good McGarrett, I’m skeptical how long the thing will last.

Haven’t heard about this Terra Nova thing yet.  I miss the Stargate series.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:22:48 am »
i miss stargate also.  they really messed up the season of stargate universe.  then they fixed it in the second season but didn't give people a chance to come back before they canceled it. 

terra nova looks like the kind of show i like.  will give it a shot. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:06:40 am »
As a father of two under the age of 4 I can tell you that the new episodes of "Blues Clues" and "Wonderpets" are awesome... :-D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:01:10 am »
I've done a ton of catching up this Summer with shows that have been on for a few seasons and now need to wait for most of them to air.

The better ones for me are: Leverage and The Glades.

Madmen and The Walking Dead are back soon enough, along with Dexter. I even found the full three seasons of Millennium which was one of my favorite and I'm looking forward to seeing them again - even though the theme of the end of the world on New Years 2000 was a BIG let down, I still have a thing for Lance Hendriksen flicks - including the Pumpkinhead movies (the first was brilliant in casting, best swamp witch I have ever seen) and Lance is one of those actors that can nail any role.

Of course BREAKING BAD just gets better and better - they made a HUGE mistake in airing the series (not a full season because they divided it into 6 shows many months apart) which made them "not submittable" for the Emmys this year - no doubt AGAIN they would have swamped most the awards for Drama.

I was glad to see HAVEN come back too - and I want to get the 4400 series and watch them, I missed soooo many. I think I'll give Eureka a go too - I really enjoy Warehouse 13 and I like the lighter side of sci-fi. I've still never seen Stargate either (or its spin-offs) so there is that too.

I really look forward to "The Killing" to return - I love the fact they take an entire season to solve a murder, it adds a feeling of realism to it that most detective dramas don't have.

Sadly, it is getting harder to find SERIES due to the ridiculous number of reality shows filling the channels - but there are some great ones and I'd rather have a dozen excellent ones than a hundred average series.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:46 pm »
You have never seen any of the Stargates?   That really blows my mind.   It has been a staple in the SciFi world for so long. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:32:43 pm »
loved all of them.  they stumbled a bit with the last one, but they corrected in the second season.  then they canceled it.  that was kind of a bummer.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:37 pm »
Well... let me ask this (first though NO, haven't but will watch Stargate - remember I get entire seasons and watch them over a weekend and do that each week until caught up or over) but here.....

TORCHWOOD???? Who is watching and if not WHY NOT???

This spin-off of Doctor Who is one of the highest octane series going. Each year is a different theme, although this season ended well, but with a neat cliff-hanger.

Best two series of Torchwood:

CHILDREN OF EARTH
MIRACLE DAY

Both can be found pretty easy, Starz customers can get Miracle day and Children of Earth is easy to find. Jack Harkness is a cool bi-sexual immortal that has a thing for humans. He has in theory lived practically forever since time is NOT a factor to him.

One of the great series, dating back many years. Torchwood (the original series) ran many seasons and all those shows are better than the last!!!

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »
I need some help here. Just looking at my download options and see sooo many Statgates (Stargate Universe, SG1, Atlantis) where do I start and what order - I have access to season 1 through 7 of Atlantis, is that independent of the other Stargates, can it be watched alone?? Where do I begin? Thanks.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:09 pm »
start with the 1996 stargate movie.  then watch SG1, Atlantis, and then Universe.  there were some other movies and i think they were between SG1 and Atlantis.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:56 pm »
i liked Torchwood when it first started.  i gave the new one on starz a chance.  i don't mind the fact that Jack is Bi.  I don't  care that they showed his boyfriends in the past.  this season they took it to far for me with the gay sex scene.  sorry, that's getting into agenda territory and that's a step beyond what i want to watch.  to bad.  the story is good.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »
Thanks for the Stargate time line, now I have somewhere to start :)

About Jay's gratuitous gay sex scene, I totally agree. I believe their purpose for it was to show 1) that these two men had a loving relationship and 2) that Jack was the dominant figure of the two - mind you NEITHER POINT needed to be shown or proven to us.

What I liked about Miracle day was Bill Pullman's character Oswald Dane's his child molester/killer character was easy to despise and Pullman played it beautifully to the end. I didn't realize until my wife told me that the pharmaceutical rep was CLAIRE from 6ft Under.

I would hope Kathy that if you didn't watch beyond the sex that you finish watching this - that is the end of Jack's gay frollies and the twists of Miracle Day are many. I enjoyed this more than Children of Earth and Torchwood Series combined.

The other series I really like(d) was the BEING HUMAN (BBC Version) not the USA Version which is a cheap rip off of a very good series.

P.S. You mean I have to go back to LOW DEF TV to start Stargate - ugh. Shoot me now - lol.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:48:15 pm »
Favorite shows right now? Football season is my fave..One can start watching college ball at around noonish and still be watching a game at midnight.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:51:30 am »
ditto on college football. unlike the nfl there is always a good game on saturday, even if it is two not so popular schools, but i'm usually outside all weekend in the fall.
jeopardy is pretty good.
other than that  it's mostly animal planet, ngc, or history channel.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:47 am »
Yeah, mostly college football here too.  NFL?  Whom am I going to root for, the Detroit Lions?  Could this be the year they win the Super bowl?  We’ll know the end of days is close when that happens.

Any Stargate is better than no Stargate, but I probably enjoyed the Stargate Atlantis series the best.  The guy who played the neurotic genius Rodney McKay (a Canadian in the series) really did a hilarious job portraying the stereotypes of engineers/scientists.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:47 am »
I never really get into any particular series until 10 years after it has went off the air. Im watching about 2 hours of 'Frasier' now on the Hallmark channel at night.

If I had my pick, I had rather watch a college game as well. But when its Sunday or Monday The NFL is all there is. As far as which teams-Steelers or the Eagles for me. College is the Gamecocks and if they arent playing, any other SEC team.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »
Gamecocks for K9 :?

Isn’t like me rooting for the Buckeyes?  Hell (a real town in Michigan) hasn't frozen over yet :-D

I do enjoy watching the SEC too.  They have some interesting characters down there.  You never know what crazy thing Les Miles will do next.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:21 am »
I want to start a SPORTS forum, anyone interested???

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:23 pm »
I want to start a SPORTS forum, anyone interested???

Does a bear poop blue? Or does a blue bird poop in the woods? LoL. I'm game.

BlueBee--yeah, has to be the Gamecocks. I'm not a fan of the Orange. When you grow up here ,that seems to be the only color visible for miles. Plus, Im a fan of the underdog. South Carolina, for awhile ,could barely tread water against the bigger universities, but here recently they have been doing great holding their own and then some. Gamecocks baseball has won two back-to-back World Series-2010-2011.

I was assigned to a  patrol K9 division for several years (got the scars to prove it) in the Volunteer State-hence the name :)

anything