Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What should I see?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
What should I see?
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:21:15 pm »
I will be opening my two hives after a week on saturday. I have one hive (#1) that was a healthy and active package right off the bat, few losses in transport, seemed very "happy". Activity has been good around the hive and the buzz from inside is clear to hear even on cold days. 

Hive #2 was not so healthy. The syrup was empty from what appeared to be handling issues, thousands of bees were dead in the bottom, they were lethargic and disoriented.  When I installed them they didn't  do much other then stay where I dumped them.  When I added the  frame feeder and syrup, they actually dived into it by the hundreds! I had to scoop them out to try and save at least some.  The activity has been much less, although it may be on par with the numbers of survivors.

Both queens were alive and active when I installed and both had attendants. 

So what should I expect to see? What would be very bad and what should be done in that case?

Thanks in advance.

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: What should I see?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:20 pm »
In the strong hive you should have built comb with eggs, pollen and nectar or sugar water. In the weak hive, you should see the same but more than likely on a smaller scale. If the weak hive survives long enough for brood to emerge, then they'll be a month or so behind the stronger hive. Hopefully the queen wasn't stressed out too much or damaged. Keep them well fed, as I'm sure you're doing, and hope for the best.
 Good Luck

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:28 pm »
Frame feeders need floats in them so the bees can climb out.   

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
Thanks Steel Tiger, a game of attrition for the weak hive. Well, I am doing all I know to do. I have Pollen Patties in and will add Amino-B to the syrup on saturday. Thanks for giving me an idea of what I should look for. 

AllenF, I did add a piece of dried burdock stalk to the weak hive for a float. It was a field expedient fix. I'll know if it worked on saturday.

Today was a very warm day and I had bees in the yard while I was raking up. So they are starting to expand out from the hives. Also, had one follow me around for several minutes just buzzing in and out and around my head.  As the spring progresses they will have wild blue berries, chock cherry, black caps, tea roses and a myriad of wild flowering plants to forage from.  And that is just the half acer to their front.

Again thanks for the help.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.