Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: to extract,...or not to extract  (Read 1856 times)

salvo

to extract,...or not to extract
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Plymouth county, Mass., here.

My one year anniversary with the bees was May 28. Foundationless. Both hives overwintered well, built up numbers well. Lots of honey and new bees now.

I put three medium supers on top of two deeps on one, and one deep super and two mediums over two deeps. I've got another couple mediums and a few shallows waiting in the wings, all with bare naked frames.

Should I add more boxes, or extract a couple of boxes from each and return the wets to their respective hive?

Our flow is still on,...well,...except for the rain and cold for the past few days,...and next couple. My wife said the bees were out and about between sprinkles today, and buzzin' like a transformer. Lots of bearding lately on one of the hives, even in the rain and damp. They're bored.

I've decided to extract most of my honey, as comb is not that plentiful right now. Maybe I'll "cut comb" a little bit later. I've got a small hand crank extractor, so I can be gentle.

Thank for your guidance.

Salvo

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Re: to extract,...or not to extract
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:02 pm »
I would extract a super from each hive now, puting the wet comb right back on the hive.  This gives  the comb right back for them to keep filling.  This also leaves plenty honey on the hives to get them through any summer dearth and well positioned for going into fall.  There is a good chance to extract more later, but wait on that till the fall flow.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:50:27 pm »
that's up to you and  how much honey you want.  i like to get as much drawn as i can so that i have it for the next year.  on the other hand, if you are toward the end of your flow and you put undrawn supers on you may not get quite as much honey.  if your flow is still strong you get both drawn supers and honey.

either way, you probably want to pull the honey off as it's capped.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
I have 3 hives that I wintered, I caught 4 swarms.  I extracted my first honey last month, 4 shallow supers.  Left a couple of shallows per old hives just in case.  I did cut 2 or 3 frames for comb honey.  I then mixed bare frames with the extracted frames for a super for each of the 7 hives.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

salvo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »
Thank you all.

Good idea to mix in bare frames back with the wets. It gives the bees the easy option, and for the more industrious, a job. I had very bored bees last August as they had no flow and not much drawn comb to occupy their time. They just hung around looking at me sighing.

I'll extract this weekend, give them back the wets plus, and put the extractor out (away from the hives) for them to lick.

I didn't take any honey last year. Looking forward to it.

I have an electric capping knife, but that heat gun looks good.

Thanks.

Salvo

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:19:14 am »

I'll extract this weekend, give them back the wets plus, and put the extractor out (away from the hives) for them to lick.
[/quote

That is really a bad habit. It makes quite a riot and hives outside of yard will join the party.
This is the most effective habit to spread diseases. If robbers come to your yard and then they notice extracted frames in hives, you will loos lots of bees in the battle.

If you have not diseases, (which you do not probably do not know) it is better to spin the extractor that it spreads the water inside the drum. When the honey suck moisture over night, the extractor has not much honey inside. only a thin layer. You may take it off via tap.

Language barrier NOT included

salvo

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
Thank you, Finski, for the advice. Rinse it is.

I don't want any robbers.

Salvo

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:46:33 am »
If you mix uncapped drawn and empties, don't alternate. They will just pull the drawn out into the empty space.