Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: frame of bee's weight?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
frame of bee's weight?
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:50:22 pm »
Question: How many pounds of bees are on a full deep brood frame?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:51:34 pm by beemaster »

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: frame of bee's weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:02:43 am »
4 pounds bees occupye one langstroth box.

When one  full frame of brood  hatches, it's bees occupy 3 frames.

To occupye whole box with bees you need  3 frames full of brood.

The result is not overfilled, it is near full.

Of course bees do not hatch themselves. They need old bees to keep warm brood area.
In spring when new bees hatch, wintered bees die very fast and it takes time that old bees are compensated. After that expansion is fast.

Lets say in my case, at the beginning of May  I have 2 box occupied Langx. boxes. New bees has started to hatch, but at the end of May all wintered bees are dead.  I need not to enlarge hive untill at the end of May. To compensate winterd bees it takes 3 weeks.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:35:43 pm »
This is too varriable to make any guess as to the weight of the bees on the frame.  It will depend on how many are sitting on the frame, how many take flight before they are weighed, how full their crops are, etc. 

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:41:02 pm »
This is too varriable to make any guess as to the weight of the bees on the frame. 

It is not difficult. Ofcourse it ought be so that all bees are at home.

When I begin my beekeeping I bougt tens of swarms. They were sold according to weight and I learned to se how much bees occupy in the hive.

But when new generation of bees started to emerge, about half of swarm bees had disapered. Brood produces too heat.

What is use for that knowledge. ...If you have  4 lbs package bees, they fill one langstroth hive, not more. To get honey at once from swarm or package bees, you need 8 lbs bees.  One lbs is 5000 bees.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:12:04 pm »
If I may get in on this ,,,,,  Im going to buy a 5 frame nuc,,,and I was trying to come up with a number of bees that would ... pounds   and count .. and how big these hives will be come fall.....I wanted to post this ?? but didnt think any one could give me a number.....They will be from a well known keeper. so Im sure it will be a good nuc,,  have one Italian now and will  add 2 russian ,This spring/// Guess I will have to take russian classes to understand them and to talk to them ?
  With the Italians I just talk with my hands ..

the
      kid

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:26 am »
Let me clarify what is going on.    I want to boost some weak nucs that i made in november with some surplus bees in some strong hives in another yard.  Just was wandering how many frames i would shake to get 4 pound package.

hope this helps

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 12:03:41 am »
Put the nuc on a scale and calibrate it so the scale shows "0".  Then, shake in bees untill it reads "4".  That's my best attempt at advice.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:53:24 am »
Let me clarify what is going on.    I want to boost some weak nucs that i made in november with some surplus bees in some strong hives in another yard.  Just was wandering how many frames i would shake to get 4 pound package.

hope this helps

When you have 4 pound package,take from big hive 2 frame of emerging brood, not bees. After that the nuc will be soon one box full of brood.
Packace needs soon new young nurser  bees and it get from froob.

If you have drawn combs that is best help to packages.